Notices

I can't sleep if I don't...

Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't sleep if I don't...

Hey guise...

I don't really know what to say but basically I need to stop and have try a few times and can only make it a few days. I find I can't sleep and I miss the feeling of when I drink. I get these vivid very realistic dreams and wake up with my heart pounding and scared/angry.

I'm posting this now while drinking and I'm crying because I don't really know what to do...
Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome PK. My first suggestion is to visit your doctor and be honest. If your an alcoholic you will miss drinking so it's time to man up and accept you cannot drink in safety. Tough thoughts but that's the way it is. I needed to remember that if I didn't have the first drink I didn't need to get sober again.

Read the posts here for some idea of how it works, I'm very fond of all the help AA has to offer if we take it.

BE WELL
Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Put the bottle down & get some sleep. Then come back here, read how others are getting sober, and try some of what they're doing. You will find tons of help here, and people who are all pulling for each other to find a way to live happily without using.

Good luck, come back!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi PK5260, can you make yourself pour away the rest of the drink? Then get something to eat and drink as much water as you can, some sleep than come back on here when you've woken up? Read as much as possible and glue yourself to SR, you will get a lot of help and information from people who know how you are feeling right now, hugs X
Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Get rid of the remaining alcohol and try to rest. Do you any support in real life? What about counseling? Quitting drinking is simple but not easy but it can be done.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The anxiety that I couldn't sleep if I didn't drink before bed kept me chained to alcohol for a very long time. Too long.

The fact was, when I quit I slept like the dead. Years of late night drinking had taken its toll and I was exhausted.

But even if you don't sleep, it's worth a few sleepless nights to get free of the "need" to drink.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PK: I hope you are sleeping now. I understand your frustration. I started drinking years ago to cope with insomnia and when I stopped, the insomnia was bad for the first two or three nights. Like you, I've been having some pretty weird dreams, BUT, when I wake up I feel much much better. There was one night where I only got about 3 hours of sleep but even though I was really tired during the day, it still felt better than being hungover.

Logging onto SR when I was awake and frustrated and trying not to drink really helped.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi PK, I agree with what others here have said. I haven't drank for about 12 days now and trust me, sleeping and crazy dreams were the worst part the first week. I had the worst night sweats where I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat, but also feeling freezing and hot at the same time. Miserable. Then, my dreams were crazy... I had such vivid nightmares, it was awful. I barely slept. It took me until around day 9 to get over most of it... and looking back at last night, I think I actually slept through the night!
Bottom line- you can do it. Your having difficulty sleeping because your body is still getting rid of toxins. Please PM me if you need any support and keep coming back here! You can do it!
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PK

Nearly everyone who's used alcohol for years to help go to sleep will find it tough for a little while. We become physically dependent on it.

But natural sleep will return in a week or two for most of us.

If you think you need help, please do see your Dr

D