Notices

Can't stand this constant need for sugar.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi mcauliffes, I had the same reaction when I got sober too, starting from day 3, all I wanted was soda and sugary cereals... Like 3x a day, 2+ bowls a meal, and it lasted for about 2+ months... Then suddenly like someone had flipped the switch, my body stopped wanting it. And the soda intake has definitely decreased within the last month. I was drinking close to 4 cans at work during the day and 4 a night. Real coke, not diet.. b/c asperteme makes me super jittery. I just waited it out, ate what my body told me to ate, and thank God, it did pass. I hope it passes for you soon. Good luck and congrats on 64 days!!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I craved sugar all the time when I first quit. It got better over time. Diet soda helped me. Caffeine free. An a few candy bars. Try oranges or grapes.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So glad to find this thread! I've been eating loads of sugar...and gaining weight the past few weeks. I hate the sweet cravings, although they're better than craving other stuff. I hope this slows down soon though!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love ice cream also, but have had to limit myself. A little at night after a meal satisfies my craving.

Fruit has sugar, but is a much healthier way to ingest it and avoid the highly refined stuff.
It also has fiber, which is really good.

You can taper off the extreme sugar. It will take a bit, but I think that overindulging in sugar keeps the addictive yo yo whirling. It may be part of relapse IMHO.

BTW, I DON'T recommend diet soda, although I see a lot of people drinking it. It is not great for your brain, and you want to let that heal as much as possible.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's very normal to crave sugar when giving up alcohol. You body is used to excess sugar in the system so it starts craving it. I went through the same thing and still crave sweets all the time two months later. I started to limit myself as I could see myself starting to get addicted to the sugar. I moved over to fruits as much as possible to get my fix. However, I still allow myself my ice cream indulgence from time to time
Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

For a laugh

Last edited by ImperfectlyMe; 12-31-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcauliffes View Post
Hi it has been 64 days sober. Glad I chose to stop and get help, but the constant craving for sugar is making me feel sick. Never used to like sweet things but the past I'd say 4 weeks thats exactly what I have been eating.
I do try walking day and night even though I have been feeling pretty tired.
Just want to get past this as aftewr having all the sugar I'm really crashed bad, and can't think clearly.
Know what your saying! Have not been into deserts in many years. Since stopping drinking wine 74 days ago, I crave sugar. I feel exhausted also..wondering if it's from the high and then low blood sugar. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Try quieting and finding out you have type 2 diabetes.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Try quieting and finding out you have type 2 diabetes.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Right! My reason for quitting to my friends was I needed to reduce sugar as my blood levels are rising....true fact! But I must stop stealing there deserts off there plates! Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My sugar craving is pretty bad (day 18), I've decided to allow it for these first several weeks, which have been a tough adjustment. Been doing lots of meetings, so my normal work-out routine has suffered, and my diet is a little off track. I will work on getting back to training, and get my diet back in order very soon, but I haven't felt ready to just yet.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So happy to read all sugar talk...makes a lot of since...wondering why I felt so great at 1 mo. Will be 3 mo. Nov,26th...and feel very tired and moody. I think it's the high and low blood sugar! I have been nursing myself with you can eat anything you want because your not drinking....Not So...thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think I ate more sugar during my first year of sobriety than I did in the first 45 years of my life. I cut back by starting with dark chocolate, then went to power bars that had chocolate chips, then stopped completely. If I eat sugar now, the whole "can't get enough" cravings start right back again...and it's been over 5 years of sobriety for me.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have been sober for seven months, my sugar cravings are still quite bad, it's annoying because before giving up I found it quite easy to do low carb, now it's a struggle to do a few days low carb :c003
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your feedback, I am going to have to try really hard to stop sugar intake. As I don't want to get over one addiction and grab on to another, that makes me feel bad. I know I feel better not drinking , but I can feel alot better cutting back on sugar. Hopefully will help my memory, and ability to think more clearer. I'm constantly feeling down and jittery.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcauliffes View Post
Thanks for all your feedback, I am going to have to try really hard to stop sugar intake. As I don't want to get over one addiction and grab on to another, that makes me feel bad. I know I feel better not drinking , but I can feel alot better cutting back on sugar. Hopefully will help my memory, and ability to think more clearer. I'm constantly feeling down and jittery.
I feel the same way! I have been worried lately because I can't remember a thing, feel down and anxious . Realize I have gone crazy on sugar as a reward for stopping wine....last night I had yogurt instead of cookies! After all this hard work, I will not let sugar take over me!
8/26/13
Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Oceanlady Thanks I also don't want sugar to take over me. So I am going to try atleast cut back and maybe get back into gym, and continue with my walking so as I'm not feeling as bad as I do at present.. And try crosswords to get my mind going again.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Olly01 Thanks suppose we just have to do what we can to control the sugar intake. Maybe even meditate. But also important to remember each day without a drink is bringing back a good life.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Two days of reducing the sugar and I do feel a lot better! Your right must not lose focus of the true enemy.

8/26/13