Notices

Hi

Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Phew!! I'm exhausted - taking this step (I need to thank Rethink members for directing me to this site); managing at last to actually get logged on (thanks to admin support); and now trying to think of something to say!!

I'm not the most IT literate person in the world and get lost and confused by all the titles, where to go and so forth, so would be grateful if you could point me in the direction of where and how to start my journey to 'beat the booze'!!

Oh, maybe I should say something else (hmm?) Best place to start I guess is "I drink too much". I suppose everyone has their own reasons (I prefer 'reasons' to 'excuses' - behaviour, I believe, is based on reasons, plus excuses has such negative connotations equating to blame!)

The thing is I know I drink too much, I know (sort of) why I drink, I know it's self destructive and rather than helping me to cope it has the opposite affect. I have social issues and one reason I drink is to try and be sociable, but I only end up making a fool of myself and then beating myself up, followed by a drink to make me feel better... Aaargh!!!

Can you help me to get started - I don't have a clue. Oh, and I'm terrified!!

XXX
Old 11-11-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR i'm fine, you will soon feel at home here,we are a friendly helpful bunch.

If you recognise you have a problem with Alcohol it is a good start,
Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. I remember how terrified I was too when I found this place...but there is no need to be, you've stumbled across a very friendly and supportive community.

Admitting you've got a problem is a great start. What I would suggest is for you to read around and see if you identify with other people's posts, there is a Class of November thread here for people quitting this month and the people there are at the same stage in their journeys.

Post any questions or comments and people will be only be too pleased to help.

Glad you found us!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you were able to sort things out and post.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome I'm Fine, admitting you have a problem with alcohol and reaching out here is a great start. This is a great place for support and understanding. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Fine and With you mentioning 'Rethink' I'm assuming you're in the UK? SO thrilled to have another Brit here
Old 11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you've joined us. There's lots of support for those wishing to stay clean and sober.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome I'm FINE

The November thread someone mentioned is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2013-a-8.html

D
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Jump on in, the water is also fine!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm still confused about what I'm supposed to do!! Certainly, hayley86 I am aware I have a problem! And Skye2 I am a UK-ey and as a member of Rethink you must have gathered that I have MH issues (which is a bummer!!)

I'm not sure what is meant by 'sober' - is that an American thing (ie 'sober' equates to not drinking alcohol at all? - Sorry, I'm a dumbo!!) Is the thing to totally stop drinking? I was thinking more along the lines of controlling it. I do drink practically every day, but there are the odd days when I don't as well as the days when I might only have a couple of glasses of wine. My concern is the times when I just can't stop until I'm totally legless and stupid!!

I was reading the thread on 'How do I even get started' which seems familiar, but I'm struggling with the threads for those who are fighting to not drink at all.

My aim is to be able to not drink for a couple of days a week and be able to go out of an evening and be happy with a couple of glasses of wine without the desire to get legless before going out, or buy a bottle on the way home.

Does this make sense? Are there other people with similar aims?

Confused (and not even drunk, lol!!)

Hugs
XXX