Notices

What if it was sprouts

Old 11-09-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

What if it was sprouts

I never stop being shocked at, as my mum called it, the demon drink. My dad drank and caused problems for us, his family, then I do the same, causing grief and suffering for my husband.

Now I've stopped, and some days I don't even think of that liquid poison which took years of my life, and I let it! I just don't want to think I've become invincible, whilst it's lurking around awaiting me tripping up, with moments of madness and weakness.

If only it was sprouts and ice-cream that my addictive nature craved, my favourite foods ( not together, I hasten to add, lol) the worst I'd suffer with is some flatulence and weight gain.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was just about to come in and defend the humble sprout - I LOVE them

You're doing fantastically well Xx
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Skye, just pondering at the moment, unsure what to do now I have this spare sober time where normally I'd be in a drunken sleep.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, it is confusing at first - you'll soon find things to do What hobbies did you used to have before alcohol zoomed in?
It's wonderful to be clear-headed on a sunday isn't it Xx
Old 11-09-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Yep, it is confusing at first - you'll soon find things to do What hobbies did you used to have before alcohol zoomed in?
It's wonderful to be clear-headed on a sunday isn't it Xx
Hi Mags, it's great that you're being introspective & taking a good look at yourself to make sure that alcohol doesn't just spring up and surprise you with a slip up!

Skye, so funny you ask that question "what hobbies did you used to have?" oh my gosh-- being asked that lately, I honestly can't even remember. Exercise is the only thing I can think of most of the time! ... and reading.
I need some hobbies! Crocheting, anyone?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

I used to run but my knee isn't up to it unfortunately, been looking at hobbies for women on line, thought about going swimming, it's just taking the plunge, so to speak.
It's brill, Skye, Sunday morning, cup of coffee, coal fire roaring(solidly frozen over outside, here) and my cat sprawled out by my side, hubby still in bed, lol.
And a clear head, yes this sober feeling is brill. Have a great Sunday.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi chaili, yes, I feel I cannt let my guard down, even though I'm confident I won't drink.

I fancy having an Indian cookery course, I've got recipe books and done it from scratch many moons ago, but would like a point in the right direction.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mags.

I know a lot of people say it, but it is true....hang in there, those empty spaces of time that you now have to fill when you'd normally be drinking or recovering feel like huge gaps when first sober. Now I don't even notice it, even if I'm doing nothing at all. Drinking slowly becomes less of an option.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Croissant, thanks, I will hang in there, pondering, wanting to do something. I'm getting to understand the 'recovery' I need to give my mind and body, my problem I want it too quick, but I know, baby steps.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

*I used to run but my knee isn't up to it unfortunately, been looking at hobbies for women on line, thought about going swimming, it's just taking the plunge, so to speak.
It's brill, Skye, Sunday morning, cup of coffee, coal fire roaring(solidly frozen over outside, here) and my cat sprawled out by my side, hubby still in bed, lol.
And a clear head, yes this sober feeling is brill. Have a great Sunday.*

Hi Mags i loved reading that. So much better than a revolting hangover eh ? Being sober makes us ponder the everyday simple things. That post sounded like you are in a pretty good place right now.
You will enjoy this more and more as you get further along.
It was such a feelgood post for me .

It made me want a cuppa as i sit next to my hubby in bed , reading Sr posts with the dogs at our feet.

Lucky me. He got up to make it ...oh and bring in the choccie.

See how good SR is lol ....keep going hun xxx you can do this ;-)))) xx

Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Snoozy and thanks, yes, I think I am definitely in a different and better place than I was with drink. I gotta lot to look forward to, just not sure what, yet.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would much rather be a farting fatty
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Coming from someone who has good issues as well.... Why can't I get a hankering to work out all the time?! Lol

Amazingly all that free time goes somewhere eventually.

Keep up the good work!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi mags, i really like this post and can relate "what to do now,,,"

i read sometimes, in posts "relapsed ... i was bored". this may sound either sad or obvious, but after the process of detoxing, i had these giant gaping holes of nothingness and boredom. i thought, being sober stinks, it's no fun, boring, actually annoyingly boring and frustrating. i came to realize, i can't just remove 35 hours of active weekly drinking, not including "recovery" time and expect that my life will have fullness and quality in it (it was like having another full-time job! ). it was awakening - i realized i had all kinds of time to insert a hobby, exercise, research, developing a relationship, volunteering, calling a friend, reading, fixing something, encouraging another, being with my family, friends, the list goes on and on ... i actually started a coin collection (what the! who has a coin collection any more??!!). i allowed all these pursuits (a fancy word for "life") to get shoved to the side, while i focused solely on my drinking...i am so thankful today that these interests were just asleep, dormant, and readily available to me, whenever i wanted to stop drinking and start living again...

i would love to see one of the EternalIQ threads, where others list, "one thing that i enjoyed/made me feel alive, let die in drinking, then revived in sobriety..."
Old 11-10-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I love to cook and bake, and I enjoy eating curry and fresh bread. So, try some chana masala, or some ciabatta. Enjoy!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks happyhour and freshstart, I feel that I'm half living at the moment, but that's cos I can remember all my waking hours and have time, which is good and positive.

Once I've become accustomed to this time and found my niche I'm sure the world will be my oyster.