Notices

Meant to be?? GOD?? Spirituality???

Old 11-09-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meant to be?? GOD?? Spirituality???

I have many years of sobriety, using AA, (followed by 3 relapses...on day 26 today) and I have always believe that there is something bigger than me "out there"...I have never really been religious, or actually spiritual. Yesterday, though...I think I actually had some sort of "spiritual experience". I always say that "everything happens for a reason"...but yesterday was "the proof in the pudding"...

We had the day from hell yesterday. We need to renew our residency in Costa Rica and were told we needed letters from each bank at which we converted US dollars to CR colones. Nothing is close in CR to anything else. We left the house at 8:30am. Went to one bank (an hour away) and got one letter....Leaving that town, the air, windows, lights, etc. on the car stopped working. Went back into town to our mechanic (who just happened to be right around the corner) and he replaced the main fuse. Then drove 2 hours to bank # 2 on dirt and partially paved roads. Got the letter, got in the car and the car would not start. (The bank is in the same parking lot as a garage station). Had it jumped...it started....2 minutes later it died. Got it jumped again and decided to go a different way home (to take the car back to the mechanic....ALL DIRT ROADS). Lo and behold, we had to cross THREE BIG RIVERS. The first one was the worst....water up to knees. Another vehicle passed and so did we....praying that the car wouldn't stall out. Made it through the rivers. While headed back to the mechanic the car DIED...NO POWER, NO STEERING, NO BATTERY, NADA....in the middle of the dirt road in the middle of NOWHERE. Called mechanic who was sending a tow truck (It was now about 4:00). Waved down a passing truck and the guy jumped the car again. We were off...Tow truck called us and we told him not to come. We made it to the mechanic in Santa Cruz at 5:45. Turned out to be some wires/cables apparently from the alternator to the battery or something. THEY FIXED IT right then and there! The shop should have been closed by this time! Not only was the mechanic there, but apparently he had called in a guy who works on electrical (which is what it turned out to be)! Mind you, we had no headlights so would not have been able to drive home....AND....no wipers that worked...we are in the rainy season, here). While waiting for the repair, my husband and I had a great discussion about prayer and God (or higher power, etc). Like I said, we are not really religious, but he said he had prayed that morning, knowing that we had a tough day ahead. I prayed while going through the first river, and all the way to the mechanic....that we would make it there. Somehow, we had made it to both banks, and gotten the required letters, before we had car problems AFTER each bank visit. They say that coincidences are God's way of staying anonymous....At that moment, sitting on the curb outside the mechanic's shop, while waiting for our car, I felt so strange and just started crying....feeling like a guardian angel was right there.....protecting us....a feeling of safety.....
Anyway, the mechanic's shop is about an hour away from where we live. On the way home, all I wanted was a glass of wine. (Keep in mind that all through the day my husband was stopping to pick up a couple of beers here and there....I had brought a cooler filled with bottles of water). I suggested that we go out to eat (I was thinking about the glass of wine). I was tired, physically, emotionally and mentally, and I just wanted to RELAX and think about NOTHING. I did a bit of I did a bit of "urge surfing"...THEN, I said, "Let's just get home...I have food in the freezer I can microwave for dinner".....That's exactly what we did...went to bed at 8:30 or so and woke up without a hangover and another day of sobriety
Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great, and proof that you can get through a tough day without drinking.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay, Trudging, I love this!! I always tell my children that the Universe will work with you on everything if you just surrender.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like your attitude.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true, DD....and thanks, least!