SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Taste buds changed in sobriety ? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/313040-taste-buds-changed-sobriety.html)

alphaomega 11-09-2013 06:20 AM

Taste buds changed in sobriety ?

Has anyone else noticed this ?

I'm almost 30 days consecutive (and 95 days minus 2 intermittent) and it's like I'm tasting things for the first time. Things I used to love now turn my stomach and things I wouldn't touch before are becoming appealing.

Skye2 11-09-2013 06:30 AM

That's weird - I should have had around 95 days too but 2 blips put paid to those and I'm now on day 27 :)

Mountainmanbob 11-09-2013 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by alphaomega (Post 4283591)

I'm almost 30 days consecutive

I'm tasting things for the first time

this last time sobering up 6 years ago
I had a lot of wreckage of the past going on
it was all rather overwhelming
don't remember a thing regarding things tasting better

many blessings such as this usually come along with sobriety

MM

mecanix 11-09-2013 06:49 AM

Hey Alpha ,
yes i think my tastes changed from fast food, fatty, salty and sugary things , to lean meats, protein, fruit and vegetables :)

Bestwishes, m

EndGameNYC 11-09-2013 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by alphaomega (Post 4283591)
Has anyone else noticed this ?

I'm almost 30 days consecutive (and 95 days minus 2 intermittent) and it's like I'm tasting things for the first time. Things I used to love now turn my stomach and things I wouldn't touch before are becoming appealing.

From what I understand, our appetite and our taste buds are returning, much like other functions in our bodies. At first, our taste buds are hypersensitive, and anything we enjoy tastes even better than before, and things we don't enjoy can actually make us feel ill. This is one reason why sugary snacks are so pleasurable in early sobriety.

Appetite and sense of taste will level out at some point, but I don't know that there's a specific time frame for this.

How's the Big Apple treating you?

neferkamichael 11-09-2013 09:02 AM

Alphaomega, almost 30 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Especially since I quit smoking cigarettes my sense of smell and taste have returned. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

alphaomega 11-09-2013 09:07 AM

Neferka - YOU are AMAZING !! Always so encouraging and positive. People like you make the world such a better place. Thank you for being you.

End - NYC is totally having its way with me.

And it's positively magical... :)

jt1234 11-09-2013 09:13 AM

Yeah. I was one of those people that never ever wanted dessert after dinner. Damn it, I was drinking my dessert. Last night out to dinner with my wife and daughter, myself and the little one shared a kick ass pumpkin cheese cake slice. I used to never order dessert.

ZeldaFan 11-09-2013 09:19 AM

jt1234, I'm the same way now. I never used to have dessert but now I do on a regular basis. The overwhelming sugary cravings have subsided but I have a new appreciation for a good chocolaty treat :)

neferkamichael 11-09-2013 10:11 AM

Jt1234, you are FANTASTIC, gained 2 pounds just reading the words "pumpkin cheese cake", gotta get me one somewhere. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

chaili05 11-09-2013 10:20 AM

Hahaha I love all this talk about desserts. I worked at a rehab (insert irony joke here) before I started working on my own problem and man, I used to eat soooooo much sugar with the residents!! :wiggle:
Last night I had a late dinner after a meeting and they had RED VELVET PANCAKE PUPPIES (what is a pancake puppy? It looked like little cake balls lol). I wanted them sooo bad... but subsided and instead gulped two sweet pumpkin coffees instead haha.