Notices

friday night blues

Old 11-08-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

friday night blues

i decided that 3 years of binging every weekend is enough. I cannot remember when is the last time I went sober just one weekend the last three years. i live 400 miles away from family, and when i am with them, i also use. secretly. i hate the person ive become. broke, lonely, unhappy, out of shape, and unproductive. ive made some bad decisions and lost out on some good friendships and relationships. i chose this week to start working out in the mornings to keep my mind off it. im gonna take the weekends off to rest, but i have to really try to stay away from the influences in my life that could cause me to give in to the temptation. aside from working out and cooking at home, i am going to use sites like this as well to keep my mind off the cravings. i am glad to see i am not alone and appreciate any support. my habits have gotten the best of me and i have so much to be thankful for.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR carmelo.

We can change you know
Old 11-08-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Carmelo - to SR. Stick with us and you'll soon have a brand new life Xx
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks soberhawk. i want to change and i choose this weekend as my first weekend sober in years. i want to prove myself i can do it and hopefully if i make it through this weekend it can help motivate me to keep it that way. i am already starting to feel better it can only get best from here i hope
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you, skye2
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Carmelo, welcome to SR, you've made those positive first steps, you aren't alone, no, I didn't think I could survive without my daily intake of alcohol, how wrong I've proved myself, there's so much more to life than the fog it gave me.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i agree Mags1. and funny you mention fog. it was quite foggy a few mornings as i went to work out as my distraction from my cravings. it feels a bit metaphoric now that i think about it. time to clear the fog! i am so ready for a new life
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Carmelo
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Friday night was not so bad. I played my PS3 till I tired myself out (AC3 will do it to you after a while). Today is the first sober Saturday morning I can remember in a long time. I woke up early and about to get some healthy grub to cook. I may even do a light workout later if time permits even tho is my off day from working out. I can get used to this.....
Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one, carmelo, it does get easier with time, but since being sober I seem to have a lot more time in the day, not passed out after drinking. So that's a bonus, I'm looking for a new hobby.
Keep with it and check in with SR, there is always someone here whatever time of day or night.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. I am also not a daily drinker, but an occasional binger. It is a difficult position to come from, as it can feel like we are not "real" alcoholics since drinking isn't an every day thing. But a problem is a problem, no matter what form it comes in and I'm happy you've decided to do something about it.

Stay busy and stay strong. It can be so easy to fall back into bad habits as I have been doing over and over the past year and a half. I am tired of doing that and trying to take this time more seriously than I may have done in the past. I hope you too can stick with your sobriety even when the temptations arise. I'm sure you can, we are the only people standing in our way.

Good luck and welcome again!
Old 11-09-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Carmelo hope the weekend is working out. The first few weeks can be tough. Saturday and sunday mornings are nw my favourite vibes of the week. Living sober has given me so much more than the path to self destruction i was on.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You've made a smart decision to quit drinking and you've come to a good place for support.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you Carmelo. It helps so much to talk things over here - everyone understands.

It's normal to feel strange when we first quit. Things get much easier though. I once lived for alcohol & now it rarely crosses my mind. You will get there! We'll help.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Carmelo, glad you're here.