Notices

Jail Time Because of DUI's

Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jail Time Because of DUI's

Has anyone served 90-120 days in jail because of alcohol related problems. How did you get through it? I have two young daughters and have to go away from them. What do I say. How do you handle it. I dont know if I have the courage to go through it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Depending on their age, I would be as honest as you can be. Daddy made some mistakes and has to go away for a while to fix them... that might work if they are really young. I hope you take the opportunity to get and stay sober, that will assure them that nothing like this will happen again! Hang in there.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. You might get honest with yourself and fix the reason this is happening to you. IF successful you won't have to go through this moment again.

This period could be a blessing in that you can get a head start on what's needed and you can use this period for recovery purposes.

BE WELL
Old 11-08-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

what is the alternative if you do have the courage to go thru it.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this can be the beginning of a better sober life for you.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with least. I got my first DUI a few months back and it's definitely opened my eyes with sobriety... keep coming back for support!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did 40 days. I went in after I had been sober since my second DUI which was about 5-1/2 months. I knew it was another consequence that I had to face but I knew I could do it knowing my life had changed. It's not just the fear of going back to jail that keeps me sober today but the promise of a better life. I just got past 14 months sober and I know if I keep doing the right things I never have to worry again.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FamilyMan if you don't mind me asking, why did you have to do jail time- was it for the 2nd DUI?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OP - look on the bright side. Unlike driving drunk - where you might never be coming home - you'll be back home in 3 or 4 months.

It's within your power too, to give your daughters a wonderful gift: a sober parent.

You can do it.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ryan, you have the strength and courage to get through this, for yourself and your family. This is the time to turn your life around.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Ryan

Welcome to Sr and like the others, I hope this will mark the beginning of a sober journey for you. A lot of jails have AA meetings that you can check out.
If your children are small, I would definitely recommend this book
The Night Dad Went to Jail: What to Expect When Someone You Love Goes to Jail (Life's Challenges): Melissa Higgins, Wednesday Kirwan: 9781404866799: Amazon.com: Books
and that one
My Daddy Is in Jail: Story, Discussion Guide, and Small Group Activities for Grades K-5: Janet M. Bender: 9781889636481: Amazon.com: Books
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Ryan, you have the strength and courage to get through this, for yourself and your family. This is the time to turn your life around.
I completely agree. While I may not be able to relate, I can say that at least make it worth something. If it is something that you have to go through, make sure it's not in vain... you can make it completely worthwhile!! (easier said than done, I know, i know!!)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was put on house arrest for 66 days after my 2nd DUI. It wasn't much fun but certainly better than the alternative. I did spend three days in jail though. The good part is that if I stay sober, I never have to go through that again.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey buddy you can do this! Get sober. Learn all you can about alcoholism and come out clean and ready for a new life.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Ryan. I've had 3 OWI's in my life. The first one I just spent the night in jail. The 2nd, I spent the night and got put on house arrest for 30 days. The 3rd I spent 75 days in a small town county jail. The cellies and food were not that bad, but my only child was 3 months old at the time so that was pretty heartbreaking. Only being able to see her in pictures was the toughest part of it actually. Now, had that been in a bigger city, larger jail with tougher surroundings and bad food I think it would have been a lot harder. I agree with the others that suggested using this as an opportunity to find recovery
Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have never been away from my two little girls due to a DUI, but have been away for months due to work. You are right. It is hard.

Spend a few moments looking at your two children, locking their image into your soul. Those two girls are the reason you can do it. They are your motivation to stay sober. This time can become the biggest life-changing event ever. Imagine spending those few months focusing on improving your mind, your heart, your body, and your motivation to succeed. You will come out of detention stronger both mentally and physically ready to be the clean and sober father you want to be.

Take plenty of paper and ballpoint pens with you so you can write them a letter or make drawings for them every day. Each time you write to them, remind yourself why this time apart is going to become a blessing, because it can. My girls were my inspiration to change, and I am sure your girls will be yours, too.

It will not be easy, but it can become rewarding.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeithCHall View Post

Take plenty of paper and ballpoint pens with you so you can write them a letter or make drawings for them every day. Each time you write to them, remind yourself why this time apart is going to become a blessing, because it can. My girls were my inspiration to change, and I am sure your girls will be yours, too.

It will not be easy, but it can become rewarding.
I lovethat you say this can be a part of blessing. While, I too, don't have to serve any jail time, I did receive a DUI almost a couple of months ago and it's so difficult to deal with, at least for me. I also had to quit my job (before I was fired), move into my sister's house, lost my apartment, etc...
Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that I too am trying to look at it as a blessing or as something that had to happen. Yes, technically, it did not have to happen and I had many opportunities to learn that drinking was aiding in my bad decision making; however, I also was not listening when the stakes were not high enough. All I can do now is make sure that these things that have happened were for a reason and that I can learn the most now.
(sorry for all of this blabbering!)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Did you just get charge with a DUI or convicted aka went to court and got 90 to 120 days of jail time? First DUI with no accidents or death should not get any jail time besides the time you got arrested. Most of the time, that 12 to 24 hours in jail, the judge with weaver the 3 days of mandatory jail time you have to serve. Can you give so some background info.