Notices

First date in a long time....and he's probably a drinker.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I'm going against everyone else 's responses here but tbh at 8 days sober the last thing on my mind would have been dating.
RAL - you are not going against everyone's response - because I agree with you completely!

To the OP - you sound like a really, really smart and engaging person. You're a good writer and you come off likeable and you seem to be able to look at your situation with a little bit of levity, humor, and keep things in perspective.

Which is why it pains me to say it: you're nuts if you think you can start arranging dates with strangers (or ANYONE) 8 days into sobriety. The fact that it didn't even occur to you that this is a bad idea - it says something. It's abso-smurfly not the right place to focus your energy right now. And yes, "we all heal in different ways", blah blah blah. But 8 days? Nope. Two weeks? No. Six months? Maybe. You shouldn't even be monkeying around with your online profile at all, in fact you should switch it to "hidden" and start getting used to spending weekends at home for the next few months. There are so many many many healing things you can be doing instead!

Getting real here: you've got to take this sobriety thing seriously. You don't see cancer patients running out of their first chemo session and logging onto match.com, do you? No. Because they're scared, trying to get well, and they are going to focus on their recovery. Because this is serious business. Alcoholism is a serious disease too. Treat it like one.

Of course, this is all just my opinion, so take what helps and leave the rest.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great response bigsombrero, as someone new in sobriety I appreciate reading that as well. Very well thought out.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
....abso-smurfly......
Love!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great response Bigsombrero

anyistoommuch-this experience has shown that it's way way too early for dating. If you're lonely and isolate join the gym, library, AA meetings, walk, join a book club. Concentrate on looking after you.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Love!
Olive - bigsombrero's best one was when he thought a thread was gonna get zapped faster than a 'burp in a duststorm' - I still grin thinking about that one
Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Getting real here: you've got to take this sobriety thing seriously. You don't see cancer patients running out of their first chemo session and logging onto match.com, do you? No. Because they're scared, trying to get well, and they are going to focus on their recovery. Because this is serious business. Alcoholism is a serious disease too. Treat it like one.
Thanks BigS! Your entire response made me laugh, but this quote gave me a reality check. I want alcohol out of my life - I know I have this condition where I drink to the point where it interferes with my life, and if I have one drink I will eventually get back to the point where I am drinking every night and blacking out on weekends. Taking it seriously also means taking myself and the situation seriously.

I have learned so much from this thread. I have a core issue that triggers my desire to start drinking and I'm learning from reading around on SR that I am trying to tackle too much at once, when I should manage the deadly one (alcohol) first. Dating is CLEARLY not the proper distraction from of it right now.

Argh! Doh! Keeping busy is not the issue - it's not that I don't have anything to do in my community (I volunteer with my local theatre, a local historic preservation society, member of a hiking club, do art shows...blah blah blah), my issue is that I am the sort of person who can feel very much alone in a crowded room full of people I know, the root of which I am well aware is a low level depression (treated) which has been my demon since before I was a teenager, and the constant management of which I think started me drinking regularly until the switch flicked to the "alcoholic" position.

BUT IN TRUTH - I'm probably a little bit in DENIAL about what I need to do to stop drinking. But that's also because I don't know what I need to do to stay as a non drinker. This is uncharted territory for me. (Other than not take that first drink, that is...)

Alright! Onward and THANKS everyone! (and thanks for listening to my constant stream of consciousness...)

Day 11.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skye2 View Post
Olive - bigsombrero's best one was when he thought a thread was gonna get zapped faster than a 'burp in a duststorm' - I still grin thinking about that one
I think that would be a great thread...best SR quotes.

Congrats AITM on day 11!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

quick and amusing update-

switched my online dating profile answer to "never drinks".

i am getting more hits than i used to get. haven't followed through on any yet (wont even consider it until I am at least at 90 days- at 48 now), but it is a pleasant surprise.

YET ANOTHER REASON to embrace sobriety!

whoo hoo!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

That surprises me too.

That is encouraging you are getting more hits with your new status. I have often thought, if I was trying to date again being sober, how would that work. Since most first dates are for "drinks" I automatically thought that would limit my options. Good to hear this update.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

ANY, here is something to consider...

When we start drinking in an alcoholic manner, we stop processing our emotions. We drink when we are happy we drink when we are sad or upset and we dull all of the emotions that we have.

When we STOP drinking, we have to relearn how to deal with what we are feeling. Add to that the fact that we also have to reintroduce ourselves TO ourselves and figure out who we are without alcohol, ninety days is generally not enough time. When dating or in a relationship- as women- we generally stop focusing on who we are and start focusing on the other person. In early sobriety that is not the best approach for maintaining long term.