Notices

Its hard not to drink in Vegas

Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Its hard not to drink in Vegas

I drink wine daily because I like the taste of it. If it tasted the same without alcohol, that would be fine with me. My best friend admits he has a drinking problem. I am mainly here because of him.

Last edited by Twill; 11-07-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Twill
Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Twill! I just got back from four days in Vegas and it is, indeed, hard not to drink there. You will learn a lot here and I wish your friend the best. Admitting the problem is the first step and hopefully he is ready to commit to a sober life. You should also check out the Friends and Family of Alcoholics section of SR as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Twill

I'm sure your friend would find a lot of support here - as will you

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-07-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Twill.

Welcome to SR. That's great you're concerned about your friend and want to learn more. You'll find a lot of good info here.

If your friend does decide to quit, geography isn't a problem. Precisely because alcohol abuse is so common in Vegas, there are lots of resources there for people looking to get help. Professional counseling, a super active AA community, SMART recovery, you name it. And this website, of course, which was my primary source of ideas and encouragement.

Be prepared: if your friend is addicted, he'll have many reasons ready to explain why he can't stop. It's not the right place, or not the right time. There's always a reason. I was really good at coming up with excuses to wait another day, another month, another year. Now I realize that was just the addiction making me believe I couldn't quit, making me doubt myself. There's no reason your friend should doubt himself—he really can do it.

Your friend is lucky to have you pondering these kinds of things. Glad you found us!