Notices

Constant Worry and can't relax and enjoy anything

Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Constant Worry and can't relax and enjoy anything

I can't even sit through a tv show or read or anything. I pace all afternoon after I get home from AA and I have come to dread the afternoons. I'm ok once my family comes home at 4 but until then is miserable. I'm 12 days sober. Help! I'm not craving beer. I'm just miserable, though. How do I stop pacing and force myself to come on here or how do I calm my mind enough to read or watch tv? I can't stand this. I pray and sometimes call my AA friends but I can't spend all afternoon on the phone.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe try to enjoy "doing nothing". Do you have a stressful feeling like you should be somewhere or do something but can't focus on anything? I don't know at all if it will help but you can try to settle with an attitude like "zombie time" or whatever... like nothing is demanded of you during that afternoon...

Hopefully the stress subsides. And congrats 12 days! That's almost two weeks.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you still have a counsellor, or a Dr, that you see about your worrying and anxiety SFMS?

D
Old 11-07-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah sober..you should see a therapist or psychiatrist....its no big deal
Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to get used to the idea of being with myself and that meant learning to like myself. It wasn't easy, but I now enjoy and need time to myself on a regular basis.

You might also try to do something that gets you outside of yourself. Volunteering was truly a godsend for me.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've tried therapy and meds for years with no success. I'm on three meds now, even. This afternoon was so bad that I am still shaken up. It's terrible.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with Anna's suggestion of volunteering somewhere. It gets you out of your own head and gives to someone in greater need than you. It's good therapy for both the giver and the receiver.

At twelve days sober you're still in very early recovery and should expect some anxiety from your brain 'rewiring' itself.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post

I pray and sometimes call my AA friends but I can't spend all afternoon on the phone.
exercise is usually of great help

MM
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are the meds making you so anxious and overwhelmed?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

so its the being alone that makes you worry SMFS?

D
Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah, I need constant distraction, but yet cannot calm down enough to do anything distracting. Today is particularly bad. I'm still all wound upan d evenings are usually okay for me. Need a drink. My sponsors at work so I can't call her. Ugh. But I'm in bed for the night. AA first thing in the morning.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sober, have you thought about going for walks at the times you are feeling the need to pace. I think it might help to break the thought cycle and put your mind at ease. The fresh air and sunlight (or even moonlight) can be very soothing. Stay strong. 12 days is an amazing accomplishment.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would try to do multiple AA meetings daily and exercise really helps. Start going on long walks they burn up a lot of time and tire you out. As others have said 12 days is very early and freaking out is normal but each day will be a little better.

You will do this! A day at a time
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I stay at the AA clubhouse from 8am til noon everyday ya, doing two meetings. But once they lock up at noon, I go home and am insane until my son comes home at 4

It has to get better.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Get outside and walk. Clean the house. Keep yourself distracted with other things for now. Eventually you will calm down. It's hard, I know.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any volunteering opportunities or part time work around SMFS? Maybe it would do you good to be around people?

D
Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't think I could handle a job. But have been looking for months at husbands demand. With my spotty work history and so forth no ones hired me.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The anxiety during those first weeks can be crippling. Is there a chance you can make some friends at the clubhouse to ask for coffee after it closes?

And what meds are you on? Were you on the same meds when you were drinking? For me, the meds I were on were blanketed by the booze and when I took the booze away the side effects were manifest.

Perhaps part of your problem is that the hours you are freaking out the most may have been your drinking hours? I was just left with no means of handling anything without that constant beer in my hand. I had no learning experience on how to be anything but drunk or working on getting there.

Going for a walk makes sense, but if you are like I was getting out the door to take that walk might just as well been a recommendation to climb a mountain in slippers.

Posting here is always good. And reaching out for professional work is never a bad idea.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

12 days is still pretty raw, it gets a whole lot better, early on, i didnt stay home by myself, isolation/empty home is a real recipe to get in my own head, and also drink. i used to literally pull back out of the driveway if i get home before other family members and go run an errand, etc. i suggest you protect this time theough a scheduled activity (meeting, yoga class, etc), or through going to a safe place (a park, mall, etc) to fill that slot for the first month or two ... it died for me, now i dont think about it and it doesnt bother me... for me, i like to replace my thoughts/actions/surroundings when triggers occur instead of pulling my hair and repeating "i will not drink ... i will not drink ..."