Notices

Constant Worry and can't relax and enjoy anything

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I totally relate to your post sober. I am "Fresh" as well, 18 days so the anxiety and restlessness very much resonates with me. Although recovery is important, and I am reading about recovery, posting about recovery, on SR throughout the day etc...I have started doing "non recovery things," at least on the surface. I run/walk daily. This has been a TREMENDOUS help. Going to the library, just browsing all the books. Going to a book store with my Ipad and relaxing while browsing all the books. I have gone to the mall, target, random places to just walk around and ENJOY things sober.

Although my recovery is very important, a daily thing for me, I was doing nothing...except recovery related things for a few days. I woke up, got all anxious about not being able to drink, went to AA, came home, sat around etc etc.

Keep your recovery close...at all times, but don't be scared to branch out a little and do things for YOU that don't necessarily seem "recovery related," because in all actuality...they are. We are becoming new persons, it is a new way of life. We need to find positive things to do with our time, whereas before we were either drinking, hungover or thinking about drinking. That was exhausting. Life is exhilarating!

Just enjoy being sober. Don't dwell and most of all don't drink! All of us have the power within ourselves to be free from this terrible alcohol addiction. Believe it, feel it. You are an awesome mother. Be sober for your son.

Take care my friend!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I used to like driving the chatter/obsessive ideas out of my head by playing Rob Halford at his screaming best at full volume on my iPod whilst exercising.
Other times i curled up in the corner feeling wretched, sobbing and just indulged that feeling until i got tired .
Accepting 4 hours of pain for the freedom sobriety brings .. sounds like a good deal to me .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Concentrating in the beginning is hard. I wanted to keep busy but either I had no desire to do one specific thing or if I did I could not stick to it. My mind and body was racing with no place to stick that energy.

You said you hang at the clubhouse, is there any other meetings you can go to after they close at noon? If so, why no go to one of those. Use your energy there to help set up. Most people get there at least an hour early to make coffee. You could hang out and chat and then help clean up after. That is close to two hours right there.

It is one day at a time but sometimes we have to do one hour at a time. Hang in there.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

At 12 days sober, IMO you're exactly where you're supposed to be. In my first few weeks sober I had a hard time doing anything at all. Remember even only being able to read in very short spurts. My hand had to be held to travel anywhere outside my house, didn't sleep much at all, had horrible nightmares, bla, bla, etc, etc....

Watched a movie on netflix last night called Food Matters, that summed up a lot of my thoughts on nutrition, medication, depression, etc. I highly recommend viewing that movie, to everyone. Couple of things in there I never heard before. It's known that Bill Wilson suffered from depression. It wasn't known to me that a doctor prescribed niacin for him, he took it, it worked... and allegedly he wanted to try and incorporate that somehow into AA.

In the movie some doctor also claimed that eating 2 handfuls of cashews a day has the same medicinal value as a prescribed daily dosage of prozac. I'm gonna have to research that one, but I found it interesting.

There are tons of things you can do to learn to deal with what you're going through. Lots of info on this website, lots of things I've posted in the past. One thing I haven't stressed though, and I was surprised that it was talked about in the movie last night... drinking a big glass of water upon waking every day can make a big difference in the way a person feels. It did with me anyhow. Not sure the science behind it, but I know I was choronically dehydrated, in sobriety, and wasn't aware of it. Drinking water before even getting out of bed has yielded some signicant changes in my moods. Sounds too simple to be true, yet it had a clearly noticable effect with me.

Time and right healthy action will heal the body. Cut yourself some slack. If we weren't nuts when we put down the drink, well, we woulnd't have a problem putting down the drink, would we?
Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Joe, thank you for your post. It is very inspiring!
Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Eckhart Tolle Reveals How to Silence Voices in Your Head - Super Soul Sunday - Oprah Winfrey Network - YouTube