Notices

Contacting & reprogramming the beast?

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey thanks for the replies... This is absolutely useful. I think AVRT got it really well about the beast... And namely that disassociating and disarming the addiction system is exactly to the point.

So namely finding the methods of Brain programming is what might be the helpful thing here. Hypnosis could be one. Surely THERE ARE ways to do that... Just have to find them.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add... if there truly was a way to "hack it" through to certain victory, to speed up recovery by extra means... who wouldn't want to do it?
If suffering from addiction was optional, who would opt to be addicted? If there is a way, it needs to be found.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

me personally, i do NOT engage with the beast at all. over 7 years now, and it rarely lifts it's head out of the bushes, but i do not engage, tease, chat, argue, or attempt to retrain it. i ignore it. even a nanosecond of attention feeds it and allows it to grow stronger.

NO means NO. not now, not ever, no matter what, period. i had to retrain ME. change playmates, playgrounds and playthings. set myself up for SUCCESS at recovery and make using again as impossible as possible. vigilance is required. i do not each day have to fight the urge...that thankfully has been removed, but i gotta keep my mind right, and watch where my feet take me.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're right. Maybe the safest route is just steady sobriety, because this really overheats to think about this. Interesting... but just... possibly unnecessary.

Some people might have useful techniques such as that and might really have an easier sobriety thanks to it. Safety first, all in all.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
me personally, i do NOT engage with the beast at all. over 7 years now, and it rarely lifts it's head out of the bushes, but i do not engage, tease, chat, argue, or attempt to retrain it. i ignore it. even a nanosecond of attention feeds it and allows it to grow stronger.

NO means NO. not now, not ever, no matter what, period. i had to retrain ME. change playmates, playgrounds and playthings. set myself up for SUCCESS at recovery and make using again as impossible as possible. vigilance is required. i do not each day have to fight the urge...that thankfully has been removed, but i gotta keep my mind right, and watch where my feet take me.
Nicely done sir
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Now if you've got a beast, it's best to keep it safely behind bars, not try to "reprogram" it, "tame" it, "reeducate" it, "mature" it into a friendly or pet beast. And, whatever you do, don't poke it with a stick and say, "Ha! Ha!". It's a beast and it will always be a beast. Keep it caged up and don't visit the beast house. Walk right by. If you have to, try the monkey house.

W.