Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Do you find that having a beverage at all times helps your alcohol cravings?

Notices

Do you find that having a beverage at all times helps your alcohol cravings?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife and I quit drinking a year ago. We drink a lot of seltzer with lime, especially right when we come home from work. And coffee consumption in the morning has increased as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

No. I realized that there could be no replacement for alcohol, because there is nothing else I could drink in alcoholic quantities. Drinking lots of anything else just leads me to missing the alcohol.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lots of water and tea for me. A coffee once in a while but then I pee all the time. I have also thought about some Odouls non-alcoholic beers. They are actually really tasty and low calories as well.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
Lots of water and tea for me. A coffee once in a while but then I pee all the time. I have also thought about some Odouls non-alcoholic beers. They are actually really tasty and low calories as well.
I have a friend that drinks ODouls and another alcoholic beer (I cant think of the name) and he LOVES them and claims they help with his cravings.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I haven't drank alcohol in 3 days but I've been drinkin anything else ican get my hands on. Yesterday evening I told my gf we should go for a coffee.. Se said "wow somebody's an alcoholic, gotta get that fix anyway u can huh?!" Lol hell she is right. I've been drinking some detoxifying hot tea too. Lots of hot tea.. Party on!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm always drinking water and/or ice tea... and yes... I think it helps.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yep. Cup of coffee in the morning, flavored seltzer throughout the day, and sleepytime tea before bed. It is so nice to drink coffee in the morning without the nausea, dehydration and dry heaves. Yuck. Don't miss those mornings
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ladybug I completely agree! I have always loved and adored my morning coffee but when my drinking got bad I could not handle drinking coffee while really hungover. It was such a bummer too.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A glass of cold tea, no sweetner. Just bitter, straight cold tea. I know. Weird! Chewing gum, nooo! I used to chew that stuff by the pound to mask the booze and just the thought of it now makes me shiver!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I have always been that way though... I easily drink a gallon of water a day and then coffee, tea, seltzer and soda as well. Jeez. Reading that... I know why I go the bathroom so much!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have an 8 oz coffee in the a.m.... Mostly so my co-worker and I talk about Fantasy Football. I don't really crave coffee.

After that, I drink (1) 16 oz. water with a no-calorie add-in during my work day.

After work.....V8 Diet Splash.....It's light and flavorful....the non-diet is actually to sweet for me to drink now....

That's my deal..... for now...
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I drink heaps of water (I'm breastfeeding two kids).
I also am considering making carbonated iced tea in our soda stream. Hehe wonder if it will blow up? I love coffee too, I have a strong one in the mornings.
The carbonated teas are an exciting prospect I think, trying that today. The weather is getting hot here (Australia).
Bec
Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have a can of diet soda in hand at all times. It helps.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I think Carl makes an excellent point. I have a couple of coffees, one or two herbal teas and a lot of water throughout each day. But, before 6pm I must pour a chinotto -- an Italian citrus soft drink. If I pour this and have it with dinner I get no cravings that evening, if I miss it it's another story. I take one with me if I go out for dinner.