Notices

How to help my sister who's getting outta rehab?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help my sister who's getting outta rehab?

My sister is getting out of rehab in a few days and she'll come stay at my place 'till she feels stronger and get a job and her own place. I thought about telling her about this site and I know she's gonna get support from the people at her job cuz she started doing drugs cuz her job (she was working for the police as a double agent and she lost it and started doing drugs). I know they will keep helping her and I will too but I will be having surgery while she's at my place and I wanted to know what you guys think could help something fresh outta rehab?
Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there, I kept my RAD busy, took her to meetings and her IOP program, 4 days a week. Have the boundaries set up for living in your home. Steer clear of all places or people who might trigger a relapse, most important thing I did was love her and walk with her down that road to sobriety. Talk when she needed to talk, yet gave her the privacy she needed. She wanted to be sober and I am hoping she will want this for the rest of her life. She's 19 now and has 12 weeks of sobriety in so far. Never give up hope. TF
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell her she is welcome to join this site, great people here without jugement ;-)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As a recovered addict I can tell you the most important thing you can do for your sister is to treat her like a person. I know that sounds so simple but when I first got clean I could tell people were tip toeing around me, they were treating me like I was so fragile and like I couldn't handle anything. The people that I am most grateful to are the ones that laughed with me, talked to me as they always did, and the ones that weren't afraid to put me in my place when I was out of line.

Also, just because something just got out of rehab doesn't mean the only thing they want to talk about is rehab, sobriety, and their plan to stay clean. Sometimes those topics are best left for meetings or with friends who have been there.

Just love her, be there for her, and most of all be the sibling you have always been.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

of course I will tell her about this site. It's a great site for support for me as a recovering alcoholic/addict and I want to share it with her. I never been to rehab so I'm not really sure about what to do or say.

My sister had one goal when she went to rehab and it was to get her job back, I know they like her and she's/was a great police officer. If she goes back to the job she was doing I dunno what will happen to her. They want her back and I'm afraid they will put too much pressure on her.

I don't think she needs this. And I will try to act the same with her!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do set ground rules for her being at your place. Let her know you love her and support her in her goal to stay clean.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

what kind of rules and boundaries? she's my older sister I think setting boundaries or rules would be a bit weird. I don't want her to feel like she's in jail either! :-)
Old 11-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No drug use is a pretty reasonable rule under the circumstances I think.
Elder sister or not, it's your place and any visitor needs to respect that

Before you have your sister join SR - think about if that may have an impact on you.
She may read this thread for example.

Will you be able to say what you want? is your account secure?

D
Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Maybe print out a list of local meetings for her. And definitely have strong ground rules. The tough love approach was affective wite when i came out of rehab. My family loved and supportedme but i had to take responsibility for my own recovery. Unfortunately i relapsed but that isn't everyone's story. i y recovery lost priority. Look after yourself and i wish you and your sister the very best!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Don't tempt a relapse by having any booze or drugs around. You should have a lock box or safe for any pain meds you get after surgery.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Dee. Give it some thought and make boundaries that you can live with. The boundaries are not to control her, but to take care of you. Keep in mind that you can give your sister lots of love, but she needs to do the recovery work.

And, do give thought to asking her to join SR. While it's the best recovery site, it would definitely cramp your style.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My sister knows how I feel about all this. We had a family meeting in rehab and I was real honest with her. She may not even use the site even if I mention it to her. I don't think it'll change anything if she decides to become a member on here but I'll think about it for sure.

Would it be a good thing to tell her that I won't tolerate drug or alcohol at my place and ask her what she wanna do, how she's planning to stay clean? This way it will come from her and it may be more effective
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

NA meetings will help imo.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NA meetings will be the best thing I think