Notices

What does your irritating AV say?

Old 11-06-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does your irritating AV say?

I'm on Day six and doing ok. I am monitoring changes in my body and my moods, I'm managing all of the things I worried about so far - but there is a voice that keeps creeping up in me that tells me that I was "Over Reacting" to my drinking issues. ??? Is this what everyone is calling their AV?

Granted, I am blessed that I don't have a scary story to share like a lot of my new friends on SR, but I was totally abusing alcohol. Every night I was drinking 3 glasses of wine and having more than that on weekends - on and off for at least a year. The weekend before I joined SR I blacked out, the weekend before that I was so hung over that I stayed in bed all day Sunday, the weekend before that I...you can get the pattern. I was constantly late for work, I was "working from home" many days because I felt like a*s because of my drinking. I started getting frequent gastritis, and my bank account was always at the edge. So - I looked honestly at this and said: I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL and made the choice to stop completely. (believe me - I tried experimenting with "moderation" and it was useless)

So - on day 6, I have this voice that is creeping up telling me that I am "over reacting" and I can accept this dinner invitation or that event invitation and join my friends in a few drinks, that I don't have a problem. Then the voice says - "so you will feel like a*s tomorrow if you drink, SO WHAT? Not like it matters. You can still get things done." Then it says - "your parents drank like this, your brother drank like this, your friends drink like this - what makes you think you have a problem? They are all doing fine."

Is this the AV voice? Well, it is ridiculously irritating. What does yours say?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My AV stopped bothering me a long time ago cause I never paid attention to it or did what it demanded. I no longer hear it.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea, that is your AV. It will tell you anything to get you to drink. It's good that you can identify it.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes, that is your AV talking to you. ALL thoughts that might lead to taking a drink now or ever, or doubt in your ability to get and stay sober for good are your alcoholic voice. If you continue to sharpen your AV radar, you can hear it all over the place.

I put together a list of my AV's favourite whines a year and a half ago, and posted them here.

Recognizing these thoughts as they appear and understanding their source is a very powerful tool to use in ending your addiction. Couple this mindful awareness with a solemn vow to quit drinking, and with a complete and total confidence in yourself, and you can be done with this addiction stuff right now!

You can do this, AnyIsTooMuch. I know it! Onward!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes the AV - addictive voice I believe.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had this cycle - Over several weeks, I would drink myself sick, swaer never again...then a few days later I felt good and I'd think 'you overreacted - look you're fine now'...and it would all start again.

Drinking myself sick for weeks, and then taking most of a week to feel ok is not fine, lol

Don;t listen to those kinds of thoughts - don't even engage with them - gove them no power, not even an audience.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
So - on day 6, I have this voice that is creeping up telling me that I am "over reacting" and I can accept this dinner invitation or that event invitation and join my friends in a few drinks, that I don't have a problem. Then the voice says - "so you will feel like a*s tomorrow if you drink, SO WHAT? Not like it matters. You can still get things done." Then it says - "your parents drank like this, your brother drank like this, your friends drink like this - what makes you think you have a problem? They are all doing fine."

Is this the AV voice? Well, it is ridiculously irritating. What does yours say?
Congratulations on 6 Days, Any!

And yes, I do believe you just described the evil AV. Just remember all the reasons you do not want to drink. The AV is constantly starving for attention and is an extremely cunning chameleon. You need to stand up for yourself and put it in its place. It will not got away all on its own.

Hang in there... Day 7 is right around the corner!