Notices

I have to stop drinking.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! Stay positive and always think of the good that will come from staying sober!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dang, that's a lot of dragons around here these days. They are really pretty charming though it seems.

Congratulations to you, DoubleDragon, it sounds like it's about time to pack up this drinking nonsense before it gets worse, and it will get worse. Now is a good time. And understand that you can quit drinking. You do it by not drinking anymore. By not buying more alcohol, by not having it in your house, by not going to bars, by saying, 'No thanks, I don't drink'.

People have been getting addicted to alcohol for thousands of years, and they have been getting sober for just as long. You can choose to do it too. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Dang, that's a lot of dragons around here these days. They are really pretty charming though it seems.

Congratulations to you, DoubleDragon, it sounds like it's about time to pack up this drinking nonsense before it gets worse, and it will get worse. Now is a good time. And understand that you can quit drinking. You do it by not drinking anymore. By not buying more alcohol, by not having it in your house, by not going to bars, by saying, 'No thanks, I don't drink'.

People have been getting addicted to alcohol for thousands of years, and they have been getting sober for just as long. You can choose to do it too. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
THanks for your reply! And yes, I feel like I am ready to move on from my usual drunk self. I don't know what it is. Whenever I drink, I wake up the next morning and think to myself, did I really have fun last night? Was the alcohol really necessary? It's not fun anymore. It's not necessary. It's just a terrible habit. Things are so different these days, as opposed to how they were when I first started drinking as a teenager. It was newer then, I guess. From where I'm standing right now, it seemed more fun. I guess the expression is I'm always trying to "chase that original high", or whatever. But the bottom line is, I never wake up anymore these days and say, "Wow, that was such a great night". I tried to quit drinking a couple of months ago, and I "pretended" to drink (non-alcoholic beer for a night), and I've gotta say I did actually have fun. I didn't want people to know I wasn't drinking because I would prefer people to not realize I was quitting, they'd assume I had a drinking problem (which I do), but it's just not something I'm comfortable with. Anyway, thanks for all of your awesome replies.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear DoubleDragon,

So pleased for you to take the decision 2 start a new life...
Better late than never... there is another way of life. It exist!

I am not keen to go to AA either for similar reasons.... i
I bought the AVRT book very good guidance and read of Urge surfing on the net...... you might find it useful.... get tools!
We all have done many regretfull stuff but
Life continius do not miss it!

Today is my first day!
When I am 24 hours i will post on the 24 hours thread....
You should post on it once a day ...

You have so much life in front of you do NOT WASTE IT...
Do great things!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Double Dragon my name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic. I saw a lot of myself in your story. I'm actually 35, I took my first drink when I was probably 4 or 5 years old but didn't really start pounding them per se until I was 16 or 17. Like you, at first it gave me confidence and was a good time. Eventually I was living a young bachelor life and drinking by myself daily. For me, the angry text messages and lost items gave way to hospitals and jails. This disease really is progressive and it can always take more and get worse. Even if you are not religious I do recommend AA personally. It is helping me and I'm hopeful like you to leave booze behind before it ruins any more of my life.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you your raw and honest post. If you stay here, keep posting and reading, your life will get better one day at a time. Try not to beat yourself up any more for past behaviour and regrets, use that energy to become the person you want to be and deserve to be. You are not alone! So glad you found us!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations and welcome to SR. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Great first step! Time to make a plan.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

welcome dd, you can do this