Notices

Hesitant about AA

Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

^^^ my experience says no, but it's a good question All people in the rooms care about is that you're there Just don't go in with a marching band, y'know? :P

Xx
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

A lot of newcomers show up late and leave early (especially court mandated newcomers) so it would be nothing out of the ordinary.
Once you have broken the ice with your first meeting, I would recommend you attend meetings from the beginning till the end. Generally, there is a reading of "how it works" and the traditions and promises at the beginning which are keys to the program.
Here are two links to what to expect at your first AA meeting
What Can I Expect at a 12-Step Meeting?
Your First AA Meeting. Understandably, You Want to Know What to Expect.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by icandoallthings View Post
Haha Tomsteve! Very good point

I have another question if ya'll don't mind...I've been going thru all the AA pamphlets online and can't find anything on etiquette. I see there will be a meeting tomorrow night and I will be dropping my daughter off at an activity near there. However, the meeting starts at 7 and I can't drop her off until 7:15, but then I have to pick her up at 8. Is it a set length of time usually? Would it be rude to show up late?
IMO I would not come late or leave early out of respect but I would come early and leave late.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Showing up late is more an issue for people who go late often! Don't worry about it!

Just try to be quiet entering, and don't open a noisy bag of Doritos right after you sit down!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Ican

In Oz, there isnt an etiquette in relation to time. People do come in late or leave early. But the majority do stay. I would say that you wont get the full benefit of an AA meeting if you come in late and leave early especially at the beginning where you usually ID yourself as a newcomer. The reason for highlighting yourself as a newcomer is that the AA members will give you additional attention after the meeting to welcome you and provide you with phone numbers to contact if you feel cravings or just want to talk. As well, the introductions are useful as they give the agenda for the meeting. Try and get there early if you can otherwise in the next AA meeting, do turn up say 10 minutes or so before the meeting starts and stay afterwards to chat with the folks.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No one cares if you are late, or how late you are. You will be surprised how accepting and supportive AA's are.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've been going to AA for ten days now and I already think it's one of the best things I've ever done. You'll find tons of support. And people often wander in late.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You likely will meet someone you know sooner or later. I remember meeting a high ranking director from my company at a meeting once. I guess we had something in common after all.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
EndGame

First we go to different liquor stores in order to hide the fact that we're alcoholics. Then we go to faraway meetings to hide the fact that we're alcoholics.

Early in my sobriety, I confided in a friend that I was anxious about going to meetings because I might run into someone I know. He said, if this happens, tell them you're there for the gift shop.

Then he said, "If you see someone you know, what do you think they're doing there?"

This actually happened more than once, and it was one of the best things that happened to me when I first got sober.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey Icando, I just want you to know I went to my first meeting today and it was a good thing. Everyone was really welcoming. Someone came in about 15 minutes late and it was not a big deal.
Good luck! I hope it goes well!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Running into someone you know at an AA meeting is a lot less embarrassing than running into them at a bar.

Ask me how I know.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would not advise showing up late, you might not find a seat! You don't want to be the person lurking at the door or standing in the corner..lol

Seriously though, well I was serious about that no seat thing, when people do show up late they always at some point speak up and apologize for it. I mean life happens. There are traffic jams and buses run late but I would not suggest it is okay on purpose.

I think leaving early is more widely accepted. People take buses and get rides. They have to do, what they have to do.

If you are going to a first meeting I think it is a good idea to give yourself all the time you need. Come early, meet people and find a seat. Stay after and meet more people. Meeting people is a key factor. Get names and numbers. If you speak up you are new the more open they will be to handing these things over to you.

It is not a race, it is a journey. It takes time and IMO you need to give it the time and attention it deserves. You are worth it! We all are!