Notices

Day 2. What to expect

Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2. What to expect

Hi. I made it to day 2. Tired, foggy and feeling yucky. Actually not much better than feeling hungover except I am not self loathing because of drinking. My liver hurts. Is that a real thing? Scared it won't get better from here and only worse.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Congrats on making it to day 2. As for your discomfort, probably wouldn't hurt to see your doctor. Just be honest about your drinking.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am too embarrassed. Live in a small town and my doctor is everywhere. Church, yoga, coffee shop. I know it's silly to be embarrassed.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Well, you aren't going to get medical advice here.

I understand your embarrassment, but don't let your fears get in the way of your recovery, please. Try the next town over.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The fog WILL lift... the ickiness diminishes- promise. Keep at it- congrats on day 2!!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't let embarrassment stop you from getting medical help if you need it.

Withdrawal for me lasted less than a week, but it was a hellish week. But after that I started feeling lots better.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Bogie, doggonecarl has a good idea. Is there a doc-in-the-box (urgent care,walk-in) within driving distance? That's what I did. In fact, I ended up liking him so much I ditched my former doc for him! No one here is supposed to give medical advice, and I'm certainly not qualified! But this doc got me over the hump with some meds to prevent a life-threatening detox, and then I came back a few days later for a physical. Detoxing can in some cases be a life-threatening condition, so it's probably a great idea to see a medical pro in person. In my case, I just paid cash for the appointment so it didn't show up and impact my self-pay health insurance.

You may feel like you're swimming through Jell-O for a few days. I didn't feel all that much better the second day and wanted a drink to medicate the gargantuan hangover. But I pretended that instead of a hangover, I had the flu. It's remarkably similar. I drank tea and chicken broth, rested, didn't expect exactly to be learning brain surgery or losing 30 pounds that day. In fact, part of what you may be craving is sugar, and this is not the day to worry about anything but feeling better. So have something sweet! "Recovery" is a great word as you can think of it as recovering from feeling awful.

For today, I would suggest treating yourself as kindly as you -- with your knowledge of how it feels -- would treat a friend just like you. It's easy to feel shameful, but each hour and each day that's going to diminish. I promise. Just take the baby step of getting from now til the next hour, to evening, and then to bed without a drink. Tomorrow morning will be much brighter.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on day 2! I hope you feel better very soon
regards
xx
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bogie, one other thing. Just reading through this forum, it seems everyone's experience with drinking and stopping is unique to them. For some people, I think it's important to NOT give alcohol the significance it often gets. Just for now, think of it as something that made you sick and not able to live up to your potential for now. You can decide when you feel clearer what kind of recovery program you want to do. For some people, getting to AA immediately is the perfect thing and the support turns everything around. For others, it's overwhelming and gives alcohol a power it might not actually have in their lives. It all depends on the individual. We're glad you found us here. For now, concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other until it's time to go to bed.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bogie, how are you doing?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good job on day 2 keep it up definitely go see your doc better to be safe
Old 11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day five was my turning point. The days up to then were quite unpleasant, but I got through them by walking the dogs frequently and resting whenever my body would let me. As for the liver, I had that pain too, but it has disappeared since. Got blood work done to make sure it was okay.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am also on day 2 - feeling foggy and can't keep any food down, until tonight managed a bowl of soup. Tomorrow i go and see my doctor and would urge you to do the same. Pride comes before a fall- it is best to be safe. Best wishes and i know how you feel today, but lets keep fighting!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The reason many of us seem to ALWAYS push you to see a Dr. is because we have seen too many cases of "I'll detox alone at home" or "I can't see a Dr. because of _______" wind up with sad endings, up to and including death.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Bogie! I agree with the others about you really needing to see a doctor if you feel pain in your liver. That is well beyond a common cold and should be treated by a doctor. Even if you have to drive 1/2 hour to find a doctor you're comfortable with, you owe it to yourself. Glad you're here; it's a great place to be.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 3 today huh Bogie! So far in my experience each day gets a little bit better. I've never had liver pain, that I recognized anyway, but getting checked out seems like the thing to do. If nothing else you can establish where you are at physically. It may provide more incentive or alleviate some unnecessary anxiety. Keep rock'in!