Notices

Unmanageable!!!!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Unmanageable!!!!

So back on day one and finding the cravings have kicked in awful. My house is a total mess and I've missed school all week. I know part of my wanting to drink is to avoid all the guilt and shame, and not face up to all the mess around me. Sorry for overloading just wanted to check in
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What are you going to do differently this time to avoid giving in to cravings? Do you have any real life support? Anyone you can call when you're in a rough spot?

I hope this time you can make sobriety your number one priority and make this your last Day One.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Try, welcome. Action helps. Clean up the house. I think you will feel better with a clean environment. I use urge surfing to help with the anxiety. It's a great method of dealing with strong emotions and urges. Stay busy with constructive, healthy activities. Live in the moment. Don't worry about the past or future for now. Live in the moment. These healthy sober moments add up. Best wishes.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Noone knows i have been drinking again. That's what i have to change. It Will cause hurt and disappointment, and a bash to my pride, but i know i need to get honest. And return to AA as well.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi try. I am sorry about your relapse. I hope you can get something positive out of it. Can you learn anything that may help you?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's the vicious cycle that keeps us controlled by alcohol.

The disease doesn't want you to believe that you can get through the guilt and shame and put your life back together. But, you can. Take things slowly and you'll get through it.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think people that care about you would prefer that you reached out instead of hiding it. It is no shame in not being able to overcome everything alone – nobody expect people to be perfect.

You can find a way out of this try.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
I think people that care about you would prefer that you reached out instead of hiding it. It is no shame in not being able to overcome everything alone – nobody expect people to be perfect.

You can find a way out of this try.
I agree with Soberhawk, Try. There is real strength in reaching out to people and in being honest with yourself and others. I'm so sorry that you slipped, but you're back here reaching out and that's very important.

Sending waves of support your way
Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here and are trying again. I agree with what the others have said. Guilt and shame gives this disease power. Take that control back and reach out for as much help and support as you need. Best wishes.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

I slowly got on top of things when I got sober. It took time but it happened- got around to stuff I had been avoiding for years once the detritus of years of drinking was cleared

keep at it
Old 11-06-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was doing really well for ALMOST two months and I slipped for ONE day - I thought "welp it's all over - might as well forget it all" Like Ann said - that's our disease talking - I was totally honest with everyone picked up my white chip and ppl were very supportive and caring.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Try, I'm glad you're on Day One instead of giving up. I agree that guilt and remorse leads us down a bad path, but you can rise above those negative thoughts and get your sobriety back. We are with you.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
Noone knows i have been drinking again. That's what i have to change. It Will cause hurt and disappointment, and a bash to my pride, but i know i need to get honest. And return to AA as well.
You don't have to publicize your relapse to your loved ones, it might even (further) damage your relationship with them and hurt them. You have to be honest with the person in the mirror that you are an alcoholic and can never safely drink again. Definitely go back to AA and if you have some numbers, call someone to let them know that you relapsed. Alcoholics understand each others where normies (let alone codies) will freak out.
Why don't you join us at the 24 hours club as a start?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4278680
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I have decided against telling my loved ones, it will cause too much pain and they don't deserve that. I got to a meeting today, it felt like a massive relief. Go to see my doctor tomorrow to get my bloods done and see how i am physically xx
Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am glad you are handling it try.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thankyou. I feel very physically unwell today. That is frightening me a bit.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We're here for you, so just keep posting.

Do you have a phone list from AA? Should you consider medical attention, like in-patient detox--it sure helped me.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

i couldn't do another inpatient detox, i need to do something different. I think structure and being back at my meetings. I will see what my gp says tomorrow. i doubt she Will give me librium or anything as i live alone.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wink

The problem with drinking away problems/feelings is that when we sober up they are still there! You can do it! One day at a time and when you string enough days together your problems will become manageable.... if not disappear altogether. Good luck! Remember, it's the first drink that gets you drunk! Don't take the first and you'll never get drunk!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thankyou all for your support. You are really helping me through a difficult evening xxx