Notices

1st day on this site

Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st day on this site

Hi guys,

I'm new on this site and I'm not sure how this all works. I'm a 24 year old female who's recovering from a pain pill and alcohol addiction. I've been in recovery a bit over 10 months.

I've been doing pretty well since I got clean and sober. I'm on a waiting list for a surgery, I've been waiting for this surgery since I was a kid and the surgery should be in a few days or weeks. I'll have to be on pain medications after this procedure and I'm a bit scared of it all. Scared of a relapse when I've been doing awesome in the last months, not sure if it's normal to feel this way.

I thought a recovery site would be a good place to remain clean and sober during this time. I don't know if any of you guys have been through this before or if anyone has suggestions but I would appreciate hearing everyone's opinion on this. Thanks !
Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lily....soon you will have people responding to your post and supporting you. SR is an integral part of my recovery along with AA/Alanon.

Of course I hope your surgery goes well and recovery swift.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us, and I know we will be here to support you as you go through your surgery.

Have you talked to your dr about your addiction and the concerns that you have? Hopefully the two of you could come up with a plan.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You! I did talk about it with my surgeon. He said I could go to the hospital everyday to get my medication after the surgery, which means for 2 to 3 months. Not sure what would be best. He said they would wean me off the meds but IMO it's still a bit scary
Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lily and It's great that you've been totally honest with your surgeon about your concerns. I would continue to tell him how you feel about his advice etc and see what compromise/reassurances can be reached. What do you think?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea but we already talked about it and the best thing would be for me to go get my meds at the hospital everyday (kinda like a methadone clinic). What do you guys do when you're struggling? What do you do when you get the urge to drink or use?
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome IamLily, this is a great place for support. I'm glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you talked to your doctor. I'm sure you can come thru this and not damage your recovery.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi IamLily, welcome. This is a great place for support. Congratulations on your sobertime.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe if I can stay in touch with this site while I'm in hospital it'll be easier to stay focused on my sobriety. Is this site available on a phone? I could check in everyday and I would remain focused!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi again Lily Yes, there's an app for the site. I don't use it but someone will be along that does, I imagine
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

IamLily

Use the cliche' "The best defense (against the first drink) is a good offense.

For me it is calling someone else in recovery, or an understanding friend/family.

Next would be for me to meet up with them, or maybe in your case, have them visit you (since you'll be having surgery).
Old 11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Lily

I know how scary it is to need pain meds but I have chronic pain and I use a variety of meds nowadays. I'm always in touch with my Dr, she knows my full history, and if I should ever feel the monster waking up I know to make a phone call to her right away.

This a great community. It's gotten me through a few rough times over the years.

and yeah, there's a sober recovery app available at all the usual app places

D
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm very happy to meet you Lily. Congratulations on your 10 sober months - that's wonderful. I hope you'll stay close to SR as you go through this. I found courage and strength by being here and leaning on others.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'll try to stay close to SR, I'll try to check in as much as possible. now that I know there's an app for this site I will try to find it and check in with my phone from the hospital (when I will be there).

It's only my second day on this site and I see everyone tries to help other people as much as they can and I think that's wonderful. Thank you for all your answers!

And I'll make this site my new addiction while I'm recovering from surgery :-)