Notices

Ashamed Mum, new here :'(

Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm a mom and I know the shame, embarrassment, self loathing, making resolutions to not drink only to break them in a few hours. I'm on day 24 thanks to the support of SR. Join the November group and read, read, read and post, post, post.....your thoughts, feelings, successes, failures, etcetera. So glad you found us! You are not alone.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Rose, I can so relate to you. I have four kids, and feel like I am failing them. I say I wont drink, then comes 4 o'clock and all I can think about is drinking that bottle before the hubby gets home from work. Wake up and snap at the kids for nothing. Very ashamed what I have become. I have been trying to give up for over a year now. The longest stretch was 18 days, I felt great, I got so much done. I am so tired of fighting with myself and the feeling of shame. I didn't drink last night, day 2 here. I have just joined this site, It is so inspiring and I am hoping by posting it will keep me accountable and I can be sober for my kids and give them the mum they deserve. Lets do this Rose.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a mum too and drank at least abottle of wine a night,more at weekends.

I quit in December last year.My anxiety has gone,my depression has lifted.I no longer wake full of shame, regret, fear,loathing, anger notto mention the physical symptoms.

Now I wake with peace of mind and am calmer. I'm also the mum I should have been but wasn't as was never fully present
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome Rose,

Glad you have joined us here at SR. This place has been vital for me and my sobriety! I am a mom to a 7 year old girl, but was drinking heavily since she was born. Like you, I never really got drunk...was a "functional" alcoholic in the sense that I always took care of her, I held a job....blah, blah, blah. The thing was, it didn't matter how well I "functioned" (or how well I thought I did), because alcohol consumed my every waking moment!

If I wasn't actively drinking, I was thinking about it or trying to cover it up (yeah...bottle hider here too). It was so exhausting maintaining my addiction, that I feel so much freer since I have quit drinking.

I have just over 6 months of sobriety, and I am so much happier (as is my family). You can do this, and you are sooooo worth it!

Stick around here at SR, for you will find tons of support and zero judgement.

We also have a moms/mums thread over in the Newcomers daily support section if you want to check it out.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

welcome rose, its a great place here.
Similar story, wino mum, functioned but ashamed and deceitful.
I found this forum a few months ago, binned the pinot grigio and felt amazing....for six weeks.
Then thought my problem was nowhere near as bad as i thought and could moderate. How wrong i was!
So i am back, with renewed vigor for complete sobriety for the rest of my life and the relief is huge. This time i have been honest with my family about the extent of my drinking and its like a weight lifted off. I am on day four now and already feeling better!
Lets kick it together!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rose

I found the support here really helps. Why not join a thread like the Class of November or The Mums thread?

good to have you with us

D
Old 11-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can not thank you all enough for listening. I never believed I could or would ever get this kind of support; I feel really quite emotional right now because I'm just so thankful. I did stay sober tonight.
Night night and thanks again ))
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

your truthfulness is the first step to getting beyond these hurdles...I'm not saying that it's going to be easy, but you are well on your way in admitting that alcohol has been making your life unmanageable..

You can make yourself a better life and you can find a crutch here at SR whenever you need it....

Welcome My Friend
Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Rose so glad you found Sober Recovery it is an amazing place, such support and advice. Feel so glad that you haven't had a drink, I find just deciding to stay sober 24 hours at a time really helpful I don't have to worry about the future just do it a day at a time AA is also fabulous it really helps with my sobriety one day at a time. You can do this!! x
Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

All of your posts resonate so much with me.
Thank you for sharing your experience and hope.
I thought I could moderate and really realize I can't.
I will reach for my iPad and SR before the next glass of Chardonnay.
You all express what I feel and did so much better than I. And it helps to see it written out in black and white.
May God watch over all.