Notices

Trying again

Old 11-06-2013, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

I am so tired of waking up feeling like garbage. Thirsty, upset stomach and exhausted.

I drink every night. Vodka is my current drink of choice. Even switched to skinny girl to try to lose some weight.

I think I drink to try to help me relax. I work two jobs (one which I dislike tremendously) and have a hard time unwinding. So I get home, pour a drink, put on a movie until I pass out.

I am so tired of that routine! I'm 30lbs over weight and although at my last doctor appointment my liver function was normal, that's not going to be forever.

I want to be a person who doesn't have this problem. Someone who comes home and has tea and reads. Someone who gets up early on weekends without an alarm and feels good enough to go for a run or do a spin class. I want to live a healthy lifestyle.

Booze is holding me back and I really want and need to break free. Today is going to be day 1. I have a lot of day 1's but almost never a day 2.

I'm hoping with your help here, and my boyfriends help in person, I'll be able to do this.

Thanks for listening
Angela
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do this, Angela! Welcome! I have found lots of support here. You are right about alcohol's potential to damage your body. My nephew (age 30) was just discharged from the hospital (after 5 days) with muscle weakness and kidney problems from drinking 2 litres of vodka a day. I know that is a ridiculous amount, but it catches up with all of us. I am only on day 24 today....but have had experience with sobriety and relapses over the years. This is it for me. Hang in there....will look for you on Day 2 Life really IS better without alcohol!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

You can do this! I also wanted the pain and misery to stop. I had to make it very clear in my mind that the drinking was the cause of my pain and misery.

Despite my desires (and addiction), there was simply no way I was going to be able to drinking and avoid the negative consequences. I have to quit entirely if I want to avoid the inevitable painful aftermath of drinking.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can hear the resolve in your post, Angela. You deserve to have the kind of life you described.

Like you, I spent my drinking years constantly wanting to be someone else--the person who reads to relax, exercises regularly, wakes up feeling rested and refreshed, etc. That desire was a huge motivating factor for me in getting sober, as, bottom line, I couldn't have the life I wanted while drinking. That "someone" you described is inside you. Keep pushing through, and the moments you want will start happening.

You can do this!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I posted a thread yesterday with the same exact title. Day 5 for me. We can do it!!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. My sick and tired of being sick and tired feelings were reduced by attending many AA meetings. All arguments considered it has had the best results for people who have a desire to stop drinking. One reason is it's composed of people who understand and probably the biggest is that it's a live in person recovery way of life. Perhaps not all concepts will be embraced but it works IF we work it!

BE WELL
Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am back on day one today Angela. Know how you are feeling. And the simple things you want from life are what i want too. Alcohol is poisoning me and freaking havoc on my life. I want to be free!

Good luck on starting your journey. I hope we can do this together!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Angela1234 View Post
II'm hoping with your help here, and my boyfriends help in person, I'll be able to do this.
When you say help, ours and your boyfriends, what do you mean? What kind of help do you hope to get? Need?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Angela. Congratulations on your new beginning. If we don't change, nothing changes. As you have had "a lot of day 1's but almost never a day 2" I would ask what do you intend to do differently this time? You cannot do the same thing and expect different results. I would suggest attending a local A.A. meeting or talking to a counselor, focus on getting through one day at a time.... and remember "it's the first drink that gets you drunk."
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back and trying again. Never give up!!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, Angela. Welcome to SR. I too can sense your resolve and determination. Grind out these first few days one day at a time, one hour at a time if necessary. And recognize that the harder you push yourself to fight through these initial urges, the easier they will be to deal with after the first week. Stay strong. Stay determined. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The life you want is there for you. IT IS THERE FOR YOU!! How much do you want it? The urges to drink May be fierce to start but that is the price you have to pay to get the life you want. The urges will get less as the days pass but you must be patient. Keep posting and reading on here I think this will help to keep you focused. Make sobriety your number one priority. Do anything but don't drink. I repeat the life you want is there for you and everyone if we are prepared to put the effort in. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
When you say help, ours and your boyfriends, what do you mean? What kind of help do you hope to get? Need?
Support and understanding... post when i'm having a bad day and have people tell me it gets better, it's temporary, i'll be better off not having a drink and just getting through it. I'm sure once I'm past day one there may be some other needs, but that's all I can think of right now.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Angela, it DOES get better. The powerful urges ARE temporary and will subside. You most definitely WILL be better off if you stay strong and stay sober. We are here for you. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Angela

D
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So, Angela....how is day 2?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Angela and welcome