Notices

Being Sober Sucks

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Autan:
Have you considered that it may very well be the addiction inside you (some call it the "addictive voice"), which is definitely not your friend, which is far from "normal", which is suggesting to you that sobriety is "boring", "sucks", that Christmas is not Christmas without getting, as your friends say, "wasted". Odd way to celebrate the birth of Christ. To get "wasted", completely drugged out on booze, which does nothing more than add to the depression, cause all sorts of family problems under the guise of "good will". All the drinking is really pretty much of a scam game run by the merchants to boost sales. It's tough at first getting sober, getting free of the addictive voice, but once you get over that tough period you will find you're a lot happier and you can adjust your social life so that you're comfortable with that.

W.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think it's because as human beings we desire to feel socially included, and society has ingrained getting plastered as the thing to do when celebrating something. Which is an odd concept when you think about it...

People are different, and some will be able to drink and know where to stop. I envy them, but I know that if I drink, I run the risk of getting so plastered that ill end up ruining everyone's night and upsetting people. Try not to think about Christmas too much, it's a long time away yet, take each day as it comes, you could feel completely different next week let alone in 2 months time

You being clean for 3 weeks is commendable so well done, my mum is a dependant alcoholic so I understand how difficult that is. Keep it up and I'm sure it will become easier.

K
Xx
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

last Christmas was my best ever .

Sober fresh and cool, not obsessing about what to drink when to drink or how much I drink. No hangovers , upsetting people or arguments.

Freedom.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:04 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
last Christmas was my best ever .

Sober fresh and cool, not obsessing about what to drink when to drink or how much I drink. No hangovers , upsetting people or arguments.

Freedom.
+1

others have said similar things...i cannot agree more strongly.

i dreaded my first sober holiday season, too.
and my alcoholism will probably always try to tell me that "there's nothing like being loaded."

but honestly it was miraculous being sober at home for the holidays. relationships that i had left for dead, or of which i was terribly afraid, took on new life.

it might be very hard to believe. see for yourself. stay sober through the holidays. you can always have your old life back, later...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I like the idea of staying sober for the season. I don't wanna miss all that good food around as well as the Egg Nog! Also, I almost always work the holidays anyway.
Stay strong!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Being sober for the Holiday means: Remembering the day, not being sick with a hangover, cherishing the time you have with your family, having energy, helping instead of drinking.......There is so much more, and this is a good thing. It does not have to be bad. Personally, I am looking forward to the sober Holidays.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

I cannot understand why I would want to drink over Christmas. My last big drunk was NYE, round boozer mates house and it was disaster.in my mind I'm looking forward to Christmas to NOT be drunk and to enjoy every single moment sober. Truly, it's a load of rubbish, buying bottles of this wine & that, going down the same old boozer they go down every week of the year, seeing the same old faces, only because it's Christmas they talk to each other, then come home hash the dinner, probably have a massive row & don't remember any of it.

My Christmas begins very early with putting up my tree & decorations, which will take me a whole weekend, usually the first weekend in December. I really make a big thing of it, no room for booze & hangovers there, climbing up my tree, it's Hugh and I take pride in it. Covering everywhere with lights, I'm like a little girl again. Yes, I've had drinking Christmasses with all the rows, fights and hangover from hell, not remembering what you said, who you insulted that horrible, terrible feeling. Please, tell me, what's to look forward to about that?? Take care.