Notices

Day one

Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Hi all,

today is my first day of sobriety. I've been struggling to control my alcohol intake over the last year, managing only a couple of weeks max. I thought I'd be able to control my intake but it's becoming increasingly difficult, I never really manage to stick to my self imposed rules. But now enough is enough and I feel like I have to admit that I've got an addiction.

My drinking has gotten really bad in the last year, been sneaking around behind my family's back to do it. It makes me feel so pathetic and I feel like I've lost my self respect.

I'm feeling very shaky and anxious today. Just wondering how long I'll have to endure this. Scared about the future and having to be vigilent for the rest of my life. Is there any advice anyone could give to get me through the withdrawal?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome bright spark. You have just made the best decision of your life.! Congratulations.
You may want to consult your doctor as regards any problems about withdrawals. I didn't suffer from them so I can only give my thoughts on sobriety.
Everybody has the same thoughts as you. How can I live without alcohol? How is it possible to stay vigilant? For me and for many here it is seen as the end of a relationship, one that has been with you for years. As such it is normal to have some trepidation.but if you give sobriety a chance to work you will see it as the release from your prison that it most deffo is. It gets easier and easier. The urges may be strong initially but you will notice they become less and less and weaker and weaker. Try to read on here as much as you can. Remember you may have to be patient it will not happen overnight but it is worth the effort. Finally check out AVRT on google. It gives a different way of looking at your urges and see them for what they are. Hope this helps a little. Good luck
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning and congrats and wanting to be sober. I hit the 3 week mark yesterday and I am not going to lie and say it has been easy, because it has not, but it is worth it!

My first week I sweat a lot, was anxious and irritable. LONG walks helped, lots of water, sleep and Vitamin B.

You CAN do this if you really want to. Just try to think of all of the good things that will come with sobriety.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi brightspark

Welcome to SR. There is a lot of information I believe on withdrawals, it's called PAWS so try searching that. More importantly there is a lot of support here from the folks at SR. We are all here to help each other gain and maintain sobriety ! So, please do join your class (November, it's on this page) which will be a life saver, post as much as you feel comfortable with and read up on the threads. I treat SR as my safe haven !

Hang in there !
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR and congratulations on deciding to stay sober.

The early days are the most difficult,keep yourself well hydrated,water is best.

Don't hesitate to seek medical advice as withdrawing from Alcohol is dangerous.

Wishing you well.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it's so nice to be able to come here and realise that I'm not alone. My drinking has been a way to blot out my depression, but then I'm aware that it's counter intuitive cos it itself is a depressant. But I'm trying to be positive, I know I will feel more empowered by it, but the anxiety I'm feeling is making maintaining a positive mental attitude very difficult.