Notices

New guy here

Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy here

Hello all,

It's my first post. Apart from telling my doctor for the first time the other day that I'm an alcoholic, this is the first time I have told others in all-honesty. All of my alcoholic friends boast about being alcoholics and have a good laugh with me.

I'm pretty sick and tired of being affected physically and mentally and the corresponding repercussions that follow. It's affecting my job and energy levels and I'm sure I'm not as good of a father or husband as I could be.

I'm sitting here not feeling very motivated in my day job with that all famous brain fog and a killer round of acid-reflux.

I have lurked on here a few times passively and It's great to see that others think like I do and have the same issues so hopefully you guys and girls will be able to help.

I haven't had a drink for 2 days. Usually I drink about 3-4 times a week so going without a day here and there isn't so hard. Although I haven't gone for a long stint for about a decade and technically have been drinking fairly solidly for about 20 years :-(

I hope to fix the anxiety, mental fog and get back in shape.

Anyway.. Nice to meet you all.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard sillyguy

I got tired of being totally ashamed of who I was - I like that I'm pretty close to the man I want to be now

I know you'll find support here

D
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR! Sound like you're taking a great first step. Congrats on 2 days of sobriety. It gets better with time.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome sillyguy, congrats on 2 days sober. This is a really good place for support. I'm glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
csd

welcome silly, may you find all the support you need to find life, all the best mate, I so want to be a Dad one day.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a good place for support. We encourage each other and help each other along the way. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you really want to quit then you will do it. Are you at that stage? If you are you will get great support here. Everyone will say it will get easier as the days pass. Good luck and please keep posting.

Last edited by Toffee1; 11-03-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Pulling mistake
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, sillyguy. Welcome to SR. Anxiety and mental fog were my two biggest alcohol side effects. Guilt was the third. I am at day 70 of sobriety and, while it has been difficult, I can tell you that the anxiety and mental fog (and the guilt) are virtually gone.

Good luck. I am glad you have joined us for this difficult, but very, very rewarding journey.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome sillyguy great name BTW conjures a smile!!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good morning Silly, Just wanted to Welcome you to the best Support site out there, SR! This family of addicts and loved ones of addicts are here for you, and they're open 24/7! So this is day three of a great sobriety life waiting for you! TF
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Sillyguy! Welcome, and congratulations on your monumental decision to stay sober. You mention that you don't think you are being the best Father and husband you can be, and I'll can tell you from experience that this is almost certainly true. I was a dreadful wife and mother when I was drinking. I'll tell you one thing though...stopping my out of control drinking dramatically changed the way my husband and kids looked at me. I regained so much trust, so much admiration. It was my finest hour, and I'm forever grateful to those who helped me.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome SilliyGuy. Giving up drinking was the best thing I have ever done- it has given me a new lease of life
Old 11-04-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"
Hi, sillyguy. Welcome to SR. Anxiety and mental fog were my two biggest alcohol side effects. Guilt was the third. I am at day 70 of sobriety and, while it has been difficult, I can tell you that the anxiety and mental fog (and the guilt) are virtually gone.

Good luck. I am glad you have joined us for this difficult, but very, very rewarding journey."

Thanks. That is the exact sort of information I'm wondering about. What sort of time frames to expect any reduction in mental fog + anxiety. That is very exciting that you have had it reduce to "almost gone" within 70 days.

Although 70 days is something that is next to impossible for old me. I'm ready

Last edited by sillyguy; 11-04-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longbeachone View Post
Hi Sillyguy! Welcome, and congratulations on your monumental decision to stay sober. You mention that you don't think you are being the best Father and husband you can be, and I'll can tell you from experience that this is almost certainly true. I was a dreadful wife and mother when I was drinking. I'll tell you one thing though...stopping my out of control drinking dramatically changed the way my husband and kids looked at me. I regained so much trust, so much admiration. It was my finest hour, and I'm forever grateful to those who helped me.
Admiration and trust are exactly what I would find very rewarding. My wife certainly doesn't look at me with admiration when I'm smashing down beer faster than water.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your welcomes. They are very encouraging. I'm glad to be part of this group.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sillyguy, my anxiety and mental fog was noticeably better after the first 7-10 days. By the 15th day, I had taken my last Xanax. Everyone is different, but I think you will start to notice positive changes within the first week. Good luck. Keep posting with progress updates.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Kudos to you for being honest with your doctor!!

Welcome!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firstymer View Post
Sillyguy, my anxiety and mental fog was noticeably better after the first 7-10 days. By the 15th day, I had taken my last Xanax. Everyone is different, but I think you will start to notice positive changes within the first week. Good luck. Keep posting with progress updates.
Awesome. I'm on the 4th day today so I'll see how I feel when I hit that 10th day :-)