Notices

designed for the newcomer (revised)

Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

designed for the newcomer (revised)

Hi, my name is Michael, nicknamed Bushy and I'm an alcoholic.

Thought it may benefit someone to resubmit some an article, but with some alterations made and additional information added. My intention is only to help the alcoholic who still suffers.

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous informed me about my disease.
It gave me the facts about this FATAL disease. It reaffirmed and 'set in concrete' my total powerlessness and told me the truth…that the only way for me to recover was to experience an entire psychic change. When I starting reading the Big Book it was like looking in the mirror and that they knew exactly what was going on. And by following the directions which are set out in the book I too have recovered.

Alcoholics Anonymous the fellowship took its name after the book. The Big Book of Alcoholic Anonymous and the first 164 pages is the 'text' book for the recovery of alcoholism. It was written by Bill W and the first 100 members and has since been adopted by a huge number of alcoholics around the world...and by following its direction, they have also recovered.
I have personally witness many alcoholics coming into AA meetings who can not or will not completely give themselves to this simple program. (Of which is outlined and explained in the Big Book). I have witnessed these members bust, die, and yes I have even personal knew one member that ended up being permanently locked up in a 'wet brain' ward. And yet the disease will lie to you and say that your an exception to the rule. The whole problem is that the disease of alcoholism centres in the mind so it is vital that we do not lean on our own understanding and so called wisdom...lets face it were did that end up getting us!
The objective of the Big Book was written so that the alcoholic can experience the required entire psychic change made possible only by the power of God. The whole purpose of why the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous was written was to guide and instruct the alcoholic precisely how do go about that from their (the first 100 members) own experience.

Physically: I recommend to eat chocolate and other sweets to help with the cravings, take vitamin B, especially B1 (thiamin), try to eat well and exercise. (exercise expels toxins out of the body and releases endorphins)

Environment: It was suggested to me that I had to 'break away' from my old environment (drinking / drugging 'buddies') ..they were right….for me I discovered that they simply were not my friends in the first place.

The Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous is also an important part of recovery. (finding a sponsor is VERY important)

I would like point out that the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous also says this….and i am quoting now from the second edition of the Big Book Pg 95 'Working with Others' (Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)…. "If he thinks he can do the job in some other way, or prefers some other spiritual approach, encourage him to follow his own conscience. We have no monopoly on God; we merely have an approach that worked with us. But point out that we alcoholics have much in common and that you would like, in any case, to be friendly. Let it go at that."

I do, however, recommend, yes even urge you, to at least make an effort to read the first 57 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Well, I wish you all the best in your journey of recovery and hope that this is of some benefit for you.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

Well written. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you've found what works for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm also glad you've found something that works for you

Different things work for different people and for newcomers AA is not the only way - there are many ways and programs for getting and staying sober.