Notices

I think all better now....

Old 11-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think all better now....

I am feeling really good and I'm not sure I need all of this anymore.... ie: AA, counseling, ect. I have been sober for 8 months and I feel great finally! I am kinda over alcoholism being the center of mine and my family's lives. I know I still can't try to drink or anything but really feel I am ready to move on a little bit.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing wrong with widening your agenda - I moved on from just not drinking to improving myself and my life.

I still work on my recovery tho, nearly seven years in, and I try never to take it for granted - complacency bought me down more than once.

best wishes in what ever you decide

D
Old 11-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes, Charliee!

I knew from the start that I needed balance in my life and it's worked out well for me.

I hope you check in and let us know how you're doing.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That is great news, Charliee. I think if there is acceptance of never drinking again, then it is indeed time to move forward. I believe that we need to have a way to find fulfillment and self actualization. We need to do and develop and grow and become. You have a beautiful life waiting for you, and it is all up to you. Onward!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fly, Soar, and have a great time focusing on life and all it has to offer. I totally get where you are coming from! Maybe pop in and out and let us know how it is all going.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wish you peace in your life.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's great news.I remember when I decided to take more of an active part in my life rather than just thinking about not drinking

Enjoy life
Old 11-04-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have felt exactly the same as you, Charilee, at different points in my recovery. We're not that far apart (I'm a bit over a year). I was/am tired of the counseling, the clinic, etc., and the amount of time the whole "alcohol thing" took up in my life. However, I will caution you that it's very easy to fall into complacency as Dee noted. It's happened to me a few times and brought me very close to relapsing. I haven't - thank God - but it scared me enough to know that I've got to constantly be on my guard, constantly be reminded of where I've been. It's so easy to slip back into "stinkin' thinkin'", at least it was for me. So, yes, move on with your life - you deserve it - but I'd recommend at least visiting SR daily just so you're reminded of where you've come from and where you could easily return. My two cents, anyway.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

safe return back

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post

I know I still can't try to drink or anything but really feel I am ready to move on a little bit.
that is a good thing if (we) don't forget with time
as I have several times before
best for me
to at least keep in touch with what has proven to work

you are still young
at 62 I probably have no more relapses left
not with a safe return back to sobriety anyway

MM
Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are feeling better. I would try to keep a little bit of recovery program in your life forever. As to the 'thinking all better' part, if I were saying that I wouldn't believe me. Ever had a personality test?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me AA always be part of my recovery program because alcoholism is a chronic disease I will never get over it. The best case scenario is we learn how to treat it. With AA being just one of the treatment options.

Going to AA meetings allows me to have a full and rich life life outside of AA meetings which in my opinion is the whole point.

I continue to expand my horizons but I have heard from about a zillion people that when people stop actively working on their recovery eventually they drink.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good to hear. The doors of AA are always open and SR if you ever have a moment of doubt
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Doubt and uncertainty are nothing more than manifestations of a threatened dying addiction. Believe in yourself, and set your confidence all the way up to 11, Charliee. You got this.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, Charliee! 8 months is a great accomplishment. Sounds like you are getting ready to flap your wings!!!

I hope you do still check in here on occasion. Especially if you find you may need a little reinforcement down the road.

My best to you! FS
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

By all means, embrace the life that recovery provides.

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
I am kinda over alcoholism being the center of mine and my family's lives.
Alcoholism? Or recovery? Before you quit, how long was your drinking the center of your life? And now, 8 months into sobriety, your tired of your alcoholism being center stage.

Just be sure what it is you are "over" Charliee. Don't take your eye off the goal.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Keep your eyes on it Charliee . Good luck
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

When I relapsed after twenty five years, the first thing to go was treatment. For me, this was mostly AA.

I went through slow and subtle changes in my attitude, my perspective. It took some time before all that changed to schit.

It took more than ten years after the beginning of my relapse to actually pick up a drink. I thought I had it all figured out and that I no longer needed the supports that got me sober. I continued drinking for three years. And I lost everything. Again.

Now, little more than two years back, living sober is and shall remain my priority. Thinking that I've "got this" or that I need a break from recovery is the big lie that we all tell ourselves.

Sobriety isn't a road back to treatment; it's a road back to life. I have more wonderful people and experiences in my life than I could ever have imagined. Staying sober in AA is not an obstacle to life...It's my ticket back.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and words of caution. I actually did go to therapy today and very glad I did so. It's truly amazing the difference a day makes. Emotions all over the place. I know I cannot let my guard down and it's really awesome knowing you guys will always be here to support me as I will be for you also....
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
jkb

I am glad to hear you are moving on.... It is one thing to be vigilant or remind ourselves that it is there. It is another to live and breathe NOT DRINKING. I feel the same way. I never went to AA but, I do find I spend less time on SR and more time just doing stuff.

I do go to a therapist as well and find it very helpful.

Jess
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you Charlie. Sometimes there are days like that.... Just don't drop all your support... We need the reminders. It lies in wait for our complacence. I'm living proof.

Be well.
FG