Notices

slips,any tips to avoid them?!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hothow

The CarolD link mecanix posted is full of good tips.

For me, I had to commit fully to recovery - that meant changing my life - thinking about the places I hung out in, the things I did there and the people I did things with.

I also needed to find support - people to call or talk, write or post to before I took that first drink.

Work on those two areas - really commit to them - and I think you'll feel a lot more solid this time around

D
Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My advice is to plan ahead.

It's not like a sudden craving to get drunk is a new idea that's going to sneak up on you, "SURPRISE!" and pour booze down your throat.

You know that moment is coming. Have a plan to deal with it, and have a plan to deal with that plan failing, and then plan for that one to fail too, and have yet another backup plan.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by bushynow View Post
Just remember you have a disease that centers in the mind and is trying to kill you. It hates you talking to other recovered members, hates you going to meetings, hates you reading the Big Book, and certainly hates you, and will try to stop you at all costs in having a relationship with the all loving, all powerful God!
I've been successful with the AA program for over 30 years now, and I've done so without ever remembering I have an illness which hates me, hates me sharing with others, hates me reading the BB, and hates my relationship with my HP. I don't personify my alcoholism. It doesn't have a personality, and it does not make choices for itself, is my experience. It's okay for you of course to do what you will with your understanding, but stating others have to remember what works for you may not be what works best for others - even for those who work the AA program.

Just saying.

As already mentioned, the suggestions offered by CarolID are super and informed, imo. Thanks, mecanix.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I slipped up again this weekend on Friday and Saturday so reading through this thread is helpful. Dealing with the extreme anxiety again today that follows whenever I drink. I really need to commit to remembering this feeling to help me avoid going through it again.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I do not see it mentioned in this thread so I will add: Watch out for HALT(s)
Hungry
Angry (that's always a big one for me, the few times I ve had cravings >I am blessed it s very rare<) I was in a pissed off mood
Lonely
Tired
and to the traditional HALT, I added a S. Sometimes when we are not feeling good physically it's easy to lie to ourselves and think that reverting to our old habits would help us feel better or at least make us less miserable.

I hope this helps
Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

A little more info...

Physically: I recommend to eat chocolate and other sweets to help with the cravings, take vitamin B, especially B1 (thiamin), try to eat well and exercise. (exercise expels toxins out of the body and releases endorphins)

Environment: It was suggested to me that I had to 'break away' from my old environment (drinking / drugging 'buddies') ..they were right….for me I discovered that they simply were not my friends in the first place.

The Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous is also an important part of recovery. (finding a sponsor is VERY important)

I would like point out that the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous also says this….and i am quoting now from the second edition of the Big Book Pg 95 'Working with Others' (Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.)…. "If he thinks he can do the job in some other way, or prefers some other spiritual approach, encourage him to follow his own conscience. We have no monopoly on God; we merely have an approach that worked with us. But point out that we alcoholics have much in common and that you would like, in any case, to be friendly. Let it go at that."

I do, however, recommend, yes even urge you, to at least make an effort to read the first 57 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Well, like I said, I wish you all the best in your journey of recovery and hope that this is of some benefit for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I do not see it mentioned in this thread so I will add: Watch out for HALT(s)
Hungry
Angry (that's always a big one for me, the few times I ve had cravings >I am blessed it s very rare<) I was in a pissed off mood
Lonely
Tired
and to the traditional HALT, I added a S. Sometimes when we are not feeling good physically it's easy to lie to ourselves and think that reverting to our old habits would help us feel better or at least make us less miserable.

I hope this helps
HALT is useful for me, as well. I've been told that the "T" can also stand for thirsty--and to drink some water or other nonalcoholic beverage.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi hothow, I'm sure alot of people will say this: when you think of having a drink, think about what comes next. Shame, guilt, remorse and sickness. Not so appealing then.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I did the same thing! 11 days sober... then I went out to a club with some of my best girl friends. I went thinking on the surface "I will drink soda water it will be fine!" But deep down, if I'm really honest with myself, I was excited to drink. I was excited to control my drinking by have two. Yeah right, ten later... shame and regret. But the next morning I was back on the wagon with more resolve than ever. Slips are LESSONS. What caused us to drink? What were we feeling in the moment or during the day? Triggers?

I think it's also about, at least for me, learning to fill up my free time with new fun hobbies. Don't really know what those are yet, right now it's lots of Law & Order. Ha.

STAY STRONG.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MarMar

D