Notices

Day 2

Old 11-03-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I have been drinking heavily for 30 years. I have a boat load of regrets associated with that. No lost job, my wife hasn't left yet, I've never been in jail, but I have lost so much time. When I think about my children's lives flashing by while their father sat in front of the TV getting drunk it makes me very angry with myself. I don't understand how I can still have a family. When I think about what my life could have been had I not made the drinking part of my paradigm of life...

Enough wallowing for the first post. Today is day 2. Last night was rough: sweats, nightmares, cold spells etc. Of course, I feel better after a fitful nights sleep than I ever did after a 12 pack. I'm done drinking! I'm going to use this website and all of you to help me. I thank you in advance.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day two. Keep coming back!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome dirk626, congrats on day 2. You will find tons of support here. I'm glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dirk262
It's my day two as well. I went to bed early last night and I was a bit hot and cold. Woke up a few times. At one point I woke up thinking I had been drinking then realised it was just my mind playing tricks I guess. I was also quite dehydrated last night and drank a fair bit of water.
I woke up without a fuzzy head today and I feel really pleased. I do think this website is going to be incredibly valuable as we move on our journey. xxx
Old 11-03-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dirk, I'm on day 3. I notice that I feel pretty groggy when I first wake up. It takes a few minutes to get going, but to be able to think clearly 15 minutes after I wake up is amazing. Usually after a binge night, it would be about 3pm before I could string a few rational thoughts together. To have the whole day in front of me and not feel sick is amazing. I have also started to dream again. I know there is a difference between being passed out and being asleep. My body is showing me that now that I have given it 3 days off. I like this feeling and I don't want to give it back to the booze. Stay strong and come here often. It has been an amazing experience for me to have people just like me tell me it is possible to be sober and happy. Very motivating. Have a great day 2!!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dirk626, day 2? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessicacat1 View Post
Hi Dirk262
It's my day two as well. I went to bed early last night and I was a bit hot and cold. Woke up a few times. At one point I woke up thinking I had been drinking then realised it was just my mind playing tricks I guess. I was also quite dehydrated last night and drank a fair bit of water.
I woke up without a fuzzy head today and I feel really pleased. I do think this website is going to be incredibly valuable as we move on our journey. xxx
The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was panic about what I did last night. Then I realized that I didn't do anything. Went to bed sober and woke up sober. Awesome! I imagine I will have many more mornings when I wake up that way because I am so used to trying to put together the night before because I couldn't remember much of it after a certain point. I love waking up not feeling bad about myself
Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I dreamt that my wife, daughter and I were on a trip out of state. We had gone to a restaurant to eat dinner. I didn't like the menu and demanded that we leave. My wife said no that her and my daughter wanted to sit for a bit. I got mad and huffed off telling my wife, "Fine, I'm leaving. You two can catch up later." I left the restaurant and began walking down the street. After a spell I came to regret my actions and returned to the restaurant to eat with them. When I got there they were gone. I looked frantically for them but couldn't find them. I thought, I'll just call them. But, when I reached for my cell phone it wasn't there. I began searching for a pay phone but couldn't find one. They don't exist anymore. A stranger in my dream, a lady, noticed my predicament and offered me her cell phone. I was so grateful to her that it made me tear up. But every time I tried to dial my wife's number I miss dialed. I was so frustrated! The tears in my eyes made everything so blurry. Then I realized it wasn't tears blurring my vision, but my drunkenness. I was drunk and now I couldn't find my family. Holy sh*$! Stay on track! We can do this!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks beancounter26! I know that we can succeed on this journey. I offer my support.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Welcome, dirk. And congrats on Day 2. You sound very determined and I look foward to reading about your progress
Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Dirk
I reckon it's never to late to be the man you want to be

D
Old 11-03-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess I will be a pest over the next several days while I try and occupy my mind. I've been on vacation all week which was part of the situation with the latest bender. I'm looking forward to work tomorrow. I ran my daughter around this morning running errands and it was nice spending time with her on a Sunday morning. Normally I would spend most of the morning sleeping and if I did take her around I would be disengaged shall I say, do to the hangover. I look forward to climbing into bed tonight sober. That is my favorite time when I don't drink. I relax and enjoy the thought of how lucky I am. Then when I wake up I'm so glad that I went to bed sober...it's like a double bonus. When I drink I snore. When I snore my wife goes to the spare bedroom. I woke up the other night after getting drunk and the bed was empty. I stared at the ceiling and thought to myself, "She can't hold on forever. Someday she is going to give up and you will wake up without her every night. You will be alone, and it won't be in this bed or in this house." I felt profoundly sad and so guilty for cheating on my wife and kids with the booze. Alcohol has been almost a living thing in my life for nearly 30 years. But in moments of clarity I know that it is nothing but ethyl alcohol. A disinfectant and poisonous. I see myself as this ridiculous person taking sips out of a poison bottle marveling at the effects as it starts to shut down my body. Huh, what a fool I have been. A buffoon! I am overwhelmed with the support you folks have given me already. I have been reading other's stories and the support and encouragement they are receiving. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Alcohol looks ugly when we really speak the truth about it. It is hard to live in a world where it is glorified and celebrated. It even has it's own aisle in the grocery store and bars dedicated to serving it up. But we alcoholics know the dark side of it. It is a poison and it is used to disinfect and kill germs. It also kills us if we let it. I am a very logical person and I can't believe that an alcoholic and a logical person can reside in one body. Sounds crazy, but it is my truth. It angers me that this addiction has such a stronghold on me, but I think taking off the rose-colored glasses and putting away the lies I tell myself about my drinking will help me to see it in all of its ugliness and never pick up that first drink. SR is helping me keep it real and honest. Congrats on day 2!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on day 2!
I too drank for many years and also beat myself up for everything I missed but then I just figured- I'm starting something new today and that included a new healthier relationship with my family. You can't go backward so just keep going forward and make the next 30 years amazing!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome dirk! I can relate - I drank 30 yrs. too. I'm glad you found us.

I came stumbling in here completely shredded - and I never left. The friendship and encouragement I received here was more than I could've ever hoped for. It gave me the confidence and courage to change my life. I never thought I could live without alcohol, but it was killing me - I was numb & foggy all the time. Plus my anxiety was through the roof. It does nothing for us - it is great to be free!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Looks like day 3 is about to begin. Still restless sleep and some sweating. Vivid dreaming and I keep feeling like I have hair on my face. But better than the night after day 1. Thanks for the encouragement! Today is going to be a great day.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

dirk, welcome to day three. I'm on day 6. Sleeping much more soundly. Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

dirk - congratulations on day 3 friend - what you are doing, regardless of when you do it, can be part of a great legacy that you leave with your family, as you get a bit of sobriety, the stinging memories fade, and you start inserting new sober ones that have others best interests at heart, as opposed to our self centered addictions which only cared about one thing.

way to go! have a great day 3.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dirk626 View Post
Looks like day 3 is about to begin. Still restless sleep and some sweating. Vivid dreaming and I keep feeling like I have hair on my face. But better than the night after day 1. Thanks for the encouragement! Today is going to be a great day.
Hi Dirk, Welcome to day 3! I am on day 4 today and my dreams are very strange also. I dreamed about snakes and trying to get away from them. Scary, but I know it is an obvious relation to alcohol and trying to get away from it. To be honest, I am just happy to be dreaming again - snakes and all!

Enjoy your day!