Notices

hello 1st post

Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello 1st post

hi

1st time here, dont think will be the last have finally admitted i am an alcoholic, thought i could control it haven't had a drink for 4 weeks then go on a 4 day bender i can barely remember. But hate the fact that if someone give me a drink right now i would have to think twice before tipping it away.

may questions are does anything help with the cravings, has anyone tried the hypnotize cds just interested in any help.

am dealing with this, anxiety problems and a 23 yr marriage breakup.

thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I found FTF meetings such as AA helpful in the beginning. Now I use this site for maintenance.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stewart
Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Stewart05! It's good to have you here. Admitting you have a problem is the first step, and often one of the hardest parts for us.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Stewart, welcome to SR. We alcoholics can't drink moderately for any length of time. Eventually we go back and make up for lost time. You asked how you deal with the cravings; I can only give you what worked for me, and I'm sure others will have their own tips.
First up, I had to get to the point where I really wanted to give up. It didn't happen all at once, but I spoke to my doctor and read lots online about the effects of alcohol on health. That was scary.
Then I made sure I didn't get too hungry or thirsty or tired. My danger time was after work so I walked part of the way home, and often bought a fresh juice drink which I really enjoyed.
I stayed away from pub nights for a while. If I went out I made sure I had a large soft drink in my hand asap.
I used SR for reinforcement and support, and kept reading on the internet.
When I felt a wave of cravings come over me I breathed in deeply 5 times and it seemed to make it go away.

Hope some of these help. Set yourself a goal and see how you go.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Stewart, some of the things that helped me with the cravings included: keeping myself and my mind busy and avoiding any places or people that may trigger me to want to drink. Eating well, exercise, reading this forum and having support from people who understood what i was going through also really helped. I kept in mind that the cravings wouldn't last forever. It gets easier with sober time. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome stewart. I too am going threw a break up of an 18 year marriage. And I think staying sober is actually helping me. As for cravings there are some meds that can help, you would have to ask your doctor.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in a similar place Stewart being new to the forum and just coming off a binder after 21 days dry. I will never give up. You can't either! I have some hypnosis cd's that I listen to and I think they help. They aren't magic and they may act as a placebo, I don't know. I quit smoking years ago and I had tried many times without success. When I finally quit it was fairly easy. I had decided I was done. Once I realized that I received no benefit or pleasure from smoking I just quit. I realized the pleasure was only the removal of the nicotine craving by the smoke. Once I got through the first three days it was over. During the course of the next year I identified each trigger by the associated craving. Once I called the craving out and identified what triggered it I moved on. The cravings only lasted a couple of moments and seemed to weaken as time passed. Once I got through the first year I had forgotten that I ever smoked. We can do this. Alcohol has nothing for us now. I'm changing the way I think about it. I don't want to be a normal drinker, I don't want to drink again ever. Join me!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you for all your messages but dont deserve them - feel rubbish and have everything to live for why do we do this does anyone know
Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

think will try cds xxx thx again to also for sharing will try all suggestions xx
Old 11-03-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There is a thread here started by a woman who was traveling to rehab. She felt an urge to get a drink at an airport bar, and so she used her phone to post here. And we talked her out of drinking! It can really work to come here when you have an urge.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Stwart! I see you're in Newcastle. I lived in Durham for a year. I love NE England!

Anyway, as to your question, "why do we do this?" We do this because we're alcoholics. Alcohol is "cunning, baffling, and powerful," it causes us to loss jobs, relationships, our health and our self respect. It drives us to utter madness. It makes us want to die, yet we keep drinking!

I hated myself every time I took my morning swig or two of rye just to start the day and get rid of the shakes. I would drink to feel "normal," but I never felt normal, at peace, or comfortable in my own skin. I saw no purpose to my life.

Fast forward 14 months. I am sober, I am happy, my mind is quiet and I am at peace with myself. My life has purpose and meaning. What worked for me was AA. I attend meetings, do the steps, have a sponsor, do service work, read the Big Book of Alcoholics Annoymous. The program has worked for me and I have seen it work for many others. I recommend checking out a meeting and seeing if it could be something that can work for you too.

I recommend AA because that's what I know. There are other support programs as well that you could also try. SR is also a fantastic resource.

You CAN do this. It is not easy but it is so, so worth it.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know if there are any answers that fit everyone. I think for me I drank from a combination of reasons. Alcohol is an addictive drug, behaviors become habituated over time, I liked the feeling of being numb (the number the better), escapism... and on and on. I don't feel like I have earned the right yet to go farther into my personal take on alcoholism. When I have more than a year behind me sober then I can spout off more. I think knowing that you are far from alone and that others like us have been successful and changed their lives is enough to get started.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi stewart, welcome. I think cravings are a natural part of the process. The thing that helps me is urge surfing. This is a method of riding out the wave of craving or anxiety. Google it. It made so much difference for me. Instead of panicking when you feel that strong sensation, tell yourself "this will pass" and relax thru it. Best wishes. You can do this. It gets easier and a shorter amount of time as you go.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Stewart - a place where everyone understands & you're never alone.

Why I did it was to feel less shy and to help myself cope. It seemed like a good answer many years ago. I had no idea it would lead me to a dark and dangerous place. Instead of calming me down it made me more anxious than ever. It's much easier to handle life's rollercoaster ride when we're clear headed, not numb & foggy. I wish I'd realized that before alcohol almost destroyed me.

Yes you do deserve our messages - also our support & encouragement. We can do this together. Glad you are here.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you come back Stuart - I think most of us can identify with drinking for no real reason, even tho it's destroying everything.

It's not a great place to be. Support and ideas really help

D
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Stewart,
just saying hell;o and welcome.
good to see you looking around for support and not giving up.

getting to really believe deep down that i couldn't control it...took forever
i must be able to, right?????
not possible that i can't control what or how much i lift my hand to my mouth, is it???

but when i really understood/believed/KNEW that i couldn't control, i could finally quit.
best to you!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Stewart!