Notices

First post

Old 11-01-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post

First thing this morning I realised what I must do. Not drink, nothing else is important. I keep trying to start off with lofty ideas that I'm going to change everything at once...it hasn't worked for me. I cannot do anything else positive in my life until I've stopped drinking. When I am more stable then I can start thinking about other things.

I dedicate myself to one outcome at the end of each day...that I have not drunk.

Any other ambitions I might have, any other shortcomings I have, I'm never going to be able to effectively work on them until I've spent some time out of the destructive cycle.

I do whatever it takes. I get through each day.

I have found it hard to get myself to make my first post, firstly because I'm quite a shy person and secondly because I fear I'll talk the talk but I won't walk the walk....but if I don't try I'll never know.

I'm never going to feel completely ready to make a start, there is always going to be some doubts in my mind, I am always going to be able to find an excuse. I can remember all the times before I have tried and failed to stop drinking. But if I am dedicated then posting here is a good first step, maybe this is the place that I can finally start making some real progress.

From reading here I have started to realise that I need to work harder on staying sober.

I am a 'functioning' alcoholic in that I still have a job, but most the other aspects of my life are pretty poor.

I have some control. Most of the time I drink in the evenings, 4-5 nights a week, I drink at home on my own. When I try to stop drinking completely it never last very long.

I have to go to work shortly but I will log on again later. Just wanted to make my first post before I talked myself out of it.

Any help, advice or support that anyone can offer will be appreciated.

-Stuey.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This has been a great resource for my sobriety and I think you will find the same. Sometimes when day by day seems daunting we have to take it hour by hour, minute by minute. Hope you have a great day at work.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR stuey.

Make a commitment to staying away from the first drink.It helped me in my early days to think it was just one drink I wasn't having.

Keep posting and reading here on SR.

Wishing you well.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Stuey,

Welcome! You've taken the right first step! I'm on day 5 and SR has been incredibly helpful. No need for shame or guilt here, just a ton of people who have been where you've been.

Congratulations to you for making this decision. It is the right one and we're all here to support you. You can do this. Stay strong.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi Stuey

You made a great decision in posting and you're now officially part of the SR family!

I've just passed 9 months sober and SR has been a vital element in my recovery. I have learnt so much from reading here. As well as teaching me about the need to say 'no' to that first drink and to always remain vigilant, SR has shown me that alcoholics can be some of the bravest, strongest, warmest and most human people going. I no longer feel ashamed of my alcoholism, just very very grateful that I'm now doing something about it.

Giving up alcohol has been one of the most positive things I have ever done and I will always be grateful for the (literal) bang on the head which brought me to that decision in January. There are other things I'm working on, but alcohol has been the most urgent.

I wish you the very best of luck with your journey, Stuey, and look forward to reading many more posts from you
Old 11-01-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats for making the right decision. Keep after it, Stuey.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"First thing this morning I realised what I must do. Not drink, nothing else is important. I keep trying to start off with lofty ideas that I'm going to change everything at once...it hasn't worked for me. I cannot do anything else positive in my life until I've stopped drinking. When I am more stable then I can start thinking about other things.

I dedicate myself to one outcome at the end of each day...that I have not drunk."

And congratulations on your accurate observations. There probably will be moments of powerful cravings but they usually pass in a few minutes so keep the resolve.
When I finally got to where you are It was suggested to not think about drinking and to concentrate on NON drinking thoughts. The AA people at AA meetings saved my Azz with powerful suggestions face to face with feelings that penetrated and some I didn't like. One that makes profound sense even many years later, " If we don't pick up the first drink we don't have to get sober AGAIN," BE WELL
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you posted. I read here for a while before my first posting as well. For me, my first posting was a commitment to sobriety (again). There are a lot of great people here and you will find lots of support. Try to log on when you are ready to take that drink, right after work...it has helped me tremendously....
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Stuey. I am glad that you are here with us.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, sounds like you "have a good head on your shoulders" and potential for a great life in sobriety!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Stuey, welcome. I'm glad you are here and posting. SR is a great place. I agree with your idea of quitting first and then resolving issues one by one. When you get sober you will have a clear head to deal with the other stuff. Best wishes.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow! Thankyou EVERONE for taking the time to reply. I have read and re-read them. You've made me feel very welcome, and I am very encouraged reading everyone's experiences and support to continue posting.

Having read a number of the newcomers threads before posting myself, one of the things which resonated with me was how similar I am to some of the other newcomers in regard to getting up in the morning (with yet another hangover) and promising myself that I'm going to stop drinking only to find that resolve has evaporated by the evening. One person used the term “loose memory”.

Today (Friday) is quite a 'safe' day for me because I don't finish work until quite late and have to start early on Saturday. Tomorrow is likely to be tougher.

It is particularly profound reading my own words from this morning quoted back to me. It has made me realise that I had already started to forget.

I will follow the advice. Try to concentrate on non drinking thoughts. Read here. Post here. Stay in the moment. And not pick up the first drink.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Stuey! Be proud of yourself for making this big change in your life.

SR is a wonderful community, I'm so glad you found us. We've all been there - you're never alone - there's always someone to talk to. I'm very shy too, but when I came here I felt immediately relieved. I had support and encouragement I never dreamed of. 6 years later, I'm still here every day! Congratulations on your commitment to having a better & healthier life. You can do it.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Stuey

not drinking was about the only thing I could focus on the first 30 days or so. It worked for me

best wishes
D