Notices

Did anyone else struggle to sleep when they quit drinking?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did anyone else struggle to sleep when they quit drinking?

Hello all,
I'm really new to this website and this is my first post. I've officially been sober for a week now, but I have a quick question for all of you. Since I've stopped drinking, I've found it very hard to fall asleep at night. I've read some internet articles that said once a person becomes dependent on alcohol, the alcohol starts to act as a sedative to help the person asleep at night. Well, like I said, I've been having major issues falling asleep and once I'm asleep I wake up frequently with a dry mouth and in a ridiculous sweat. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum experienced this when they stopped drinking? If so, how long was it until you were able to get a good nights rest without struggling? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me probably a month to get back to regular sleeping schedules. Don't worry, you'll sleep again, it just takes time. Your body is getting used to being normal and your sleep will come back. Give yourself more sober time.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to SR. My sleep patterns are strange, I can't stay awake past 9pm but then awake half the night. In the past most of my sleep was alcohol induced so now I'm letting my body adjust and find its true sleep pattern. Give it time and your body will adjust and appreciate a sleep without alcohol.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks very much to both of you. This is shaping up to be the 5th night in a row of rough sleeping, and I was fighting the urge to go get a 12 pack, as I was convincing myself that I was simply too dependent to ever quit. Between your answers and another recent thread on the same subject, I realized that the articles I read were actually true and I'm determined to stay at my house and keep fightin the good fight. I guess I'll go ahead and throw in a P90X DVD to try and wear myself down. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 18 and just about getting back to normal sleep-wise. First few days I couldn't sleep, then I was sleeping LOADS - from around 8pm until 3am, then 5am until 7am. Only last night am I getting back to normal. It does come and as Least says, your body is working overtime to get back to normal
I'm enjoying the snooziness to be honest. (is snooziness even a word) ?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really struggled to sleep,thought I'd never sleep properly again in the early weeks

After a month I started to have real, proper, rejuvenating sleep,Slept through the night for the first time in years

It will improve
Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome iloveducks86, congrats on your sober week. I really struggled to sleep when i first quit drinking and i would wake up at random times throughout the night. I found that physically tiring myself out with lots of walking and exercise really helped. I also found that some days i was excessively tired so i rested when i was able to. For me it settled down after a couple of weeks and i got into a good sleeping pattern which is one of the many benefits of sobriety. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Over two months now and still having problems, in fact it got worse after 6 or 7 weeks. It seems that now that I've been sober awhile my mind is constantly going. I fall asleep fine but wake back up after 4-5 hours and that's when I can't quiet my mind.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ADV - that's the beauty of SR being 24/7 though - always someone to talk to
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had problems sleeping from a real early age. Chronic insomnia caused by anxiety. That very first time I took a drink at 13 I realised how this could knock me out and that was it. For the past few years, and especially when i've had my sober moments, i've been taking far too many sleeping tablets. I stay up as long as I can so I can just pass out in bed, otherwise I lay there getting in a panic.

The initial few weeks after sobriety are always the toughest but they get better with time.

Anyway, I've finally found something that works for me that is natural. I went to a herbalist and bought anxiety and sedative herbs and make my own tea at night. If anyone wants to try it please check with your doc first, they can be pretty strong and interfere with medication.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I can't remember exactly when I started to sleep better, but once I did, I started waking up at 6am (on purpose) full of energy and ready to face the day, having had a great night's sleep. It feels great and so worthwhile once you get to that point.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have terrible problems sleeping.

I can get to sleep very quickly, I mean within minutes, say at 9.30pm, but then I often wake at two am with thoughts racing around my head - I'm very good at worrying about thins that happened thirty or more years ago.

But I just lie there, songs and tunes ringing around my mind. It's a bloody hell, I can tell you. I haven't drunk in five days now, and in the last month have not drunk between Monday and Friday, so I'm actually quite settled.

Other thing I have today is a stomach bug which is leaving me simply knackered - I thought it might have been a withdrawal thing, but now I don't think it is.

I'm worn out. I wish I could sleep from 10pm until 7am the next day with NO disturbance.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It took me 2.5 weeks of sobriety to be able to sleep through the night. Now on Day 33, I have had a good week of the best sleep that I have had in years!!! I used Dramamine the first couple of weeks, but now I don't need anything to sleep soundly. Don't worry, you'll be there before you know it!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Iloveducks

yeah it's very common - took me a couple of weeks maybe to find a regiular sleeping rhythm.

there are some common sense things you can do to help too:
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

D
Old 10-31-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It usually straightens out in a week or so. just hang in there. Above all, don't go back to relying on alcohol to get to sleep. That will just undo all the good work you've done thus far. Talk to your doctor about help you may get with sleep over the short term but take care about dependencies on pills, etc. Best way of doing this is to make sure that the doctor has complete control of how much medicine you're taking. Limit refills, amounts, etc. Time will take care of your problem.

W.