Notices

Need help getting off this ride

Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help getting off this ride

Hi. This is all new to me and i'm looking for ecouragement and support to get off this alcoholic ride.
I'm a tiny girl, attractive and look strangely way younger than i am. I don't look like an alcohic, and i'm always shocked how much lil ol me can drink!
I've been single for 5 yrs and would love to fine love. But, how to do that when you hate your self.
Spend another day of (3rd this wk on being a "sick day at work"). I feel embarassed about my binge last night. And realize abstinence it the only way for me.
I get to day 3 of no drinking then i feel great and do it again.
How do i stop?!
theres always invites to drink. How can i do this on my own?
I'm a binger 2-3 nights a wk, wanting just one and ending up blacked out and not functional and depressed the next. Day. argh!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you all and getting through this.
Thankyou for listening
Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there and
I'm not sure what an alcoholic is supposed to look like, but I'm assuming you mean the stereotype 'paper bag on the park bench' type of thing I also used to think that and although I'm not an AA person, I have been to a few meetings and was soon enlightened when my old English teacher walked in (thankfully he was too pi$$ed to recognise me and embarrassingly even tried chatting me up)

Anyway, welcome to the reality of it all - I too was a binge drinker so I understand where you're coming from. You've found a fantastic support forum here - great to have you with us

Xx

Last edited by Skye2; 10-30-2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, dance ! This is a great site for support. I would explore all the forums, read as many threads on the Newcomer page (this one), and post as much about your experience as possible. We are all in the same boat and our aim is to help each other get and stay sober ! Also, a great help is to join the Class that you would belong to which is October. The thread is also on this page.

Best of luck and stay connected !

Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Skye2. And you're right. What does an alcoholic look like? I guess i mean because i look and least 10 yrs younger most poeple think i take such good care of myself. And that's not the case for sure. Binging, then eating terribly cos i feel like crap, insomnia.

Kaneda888 thank you as well. I will check those out for sure.

I will also post more details of my struggles as i go on. Don't know if i can get it all out tonight.
I"m going on vacation alone for my birthday coming up. And am trying to figure out if i should stop now, or when i get back. I know now would be the wiser of the two, but i havent been on one in forever so...I don't know.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just post what you feel comfortable with and when you feel you want to
I don't know if you've read the sticky at the top, but posts can be seen on the web, so maybe best not to give out anything that would identify you too much

Great to have you with us
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Dancedonbars and welcome to SR. I had similar experiences to yourself binged then regretted it. I had my first alcohol free holiday last month, when we went out for meals I had tonic water, my favourite soft drink.
Perhaps you can find a soft drink out there from the vast choices which you enjoy. The bonus for me is I remember all of the evening and don't have any hangovers, regrets the next day. All the best.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dance,
I also live in Toronto. We may have stood in line next to each other at the liquor store haha. I drank away a great job in finance on the same vicious cycle you are on. I was probably only functional at work two days per week due to the hangovers. I am struggling myself trying to navigate a drinker's world while sober. Welcome to the site!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR!

Why not stop drinking now? Why wait til your vacation is over? The best time to get sober is right now. Before something really bad happens.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome

I quit drinking and then realized I had a lot of work to do on myself. I'm still learning but life is so much better. Life really does improve when you quit and in time you canlearn tolove yourself and then be ready for a realtionship.The first step is quitting drinkign though,nothing will change if we continue.