Notices

I am becoming obsessed with AA

Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am becoming obsessed with AA

It's the focus of my day and I'm now doing two meetings a day. When I get home I read the book. Guess it's an improvement!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a better obsession that the old one. Give it time and you'll see how wonderful that book makes your life become. With just a simple solution :-)
Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats a good obsession for you SMFS

D
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as your other obligations are met, I don't see anything wrong with throwing yourself wholeheartedly into AA.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I keep on hitting the AA meetings

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post

It's the focus of my day and I'm now doing two meetings a day.
not a bad obsession for a recovering or recovered drunk to have

got just over 6 years sober time now
and
still attend a couple or more AA meetings a week

sure beats where I came from (town drunk)

keep doing what your have been doing that keeps you sober

MM
Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it's working for you.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi Soberformyson,
if AA is keeping you sober, go for it. I have been sober with the support of both AA and SR for 2.5 years. I don't get to many meetings because of where I live but I do read the BB and follow the 12 step program.
I find the 12 x12 extremely useful.
CaiHong
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberForMySon View Post
It's the focus of my day and I'm now doing two meetings a day. When I get home I read the book. Guess it's an improvement!
AA was crucial to me in early sobriety. I later moved on to Celebrate Recovery, which is very similar, but comes from a Christian standpoint. I think your new obsession is very healthy!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SFMS, I think that's awesome! I was the me way when I first discover AA. Finally, people who got me! I went to a meeting almost daily, sometimes twice daily, for the first 3-4 months. When I wasn't at a meeting, I was on SR, reading the BB, or listening to speaker tapes. I needed that total immersion and constant reminding of why I wanted to be sober.
Now (14 months in) I go to about two meetings a week (one AA and one is CA), and I'm currently in two BB studies (highly recommend). And I'm actually a speaker at a rehab center tomorrow! Yikes!
I'm so glad AA is working for you! Sounds like you're doing great!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you!

Although I bet you probably spent more hours every day getting booze, drinking it, and then recovering from drinking it. You're time spent in AA is much more productive and better for you.

After awhile you will settle in to an AA routine and find time to explore other hobbies and such.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Hey SFMS, I think it's perfectly reasonable and indeed a good idea to throw yourself into recovery in the early days. Start as you mean to go on. 2 meetings a day sounds fine to me and the AA program is in the Big Book so it's excellent that you're reading the book already.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

In my early recovery I thought about recovery all the time- over time normality returns and we can achieve balance in our lives
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of AA meetings, in the beginning, is great. My first few years (maybe even up to my 5th), I averaged a meeting a day... which meant there were some days that I went to 3. For me though, once I felt I was on solid sober ground, I didn't want AA to be my entire life. I hear people say AA is a bridge back to life, and that's what I wanted it to be for me. Being 23 when I got sober had a lot to do with that too, though. If I were retired, or settled in other ways, I'd have been fine with a life that was AA and nothing else, as opposed to the previous drinking life.

Point I think I'm trying to make is that for some people 20 meetings a week could be an awesome thing, for others it could be another way of escaping responsibilities. For a few years IMO that's fine, and lots can be learned, but if there are goals to move onto, and it starts getting int he way of relationships and responsibilites well... I'd be careful of the role AA was taking in my life. Or at least stay aware of what was going on. For some it's a great thing, for others not so great. And again, IMO, in the beginning - it's the best thing one can possibly do for one's life and sobriety. Congratulations on finding an obsession that'll do ya some good.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, it works well because my family is gone all day and I have nothing else to do. I still have a couple alone hours in the afternoon before they come home to clean house and tend the pets. And then I spend the evening with my family.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i'm the same. hitting 2 meetings most days this week as i'm in for surgery on monday and will be out of circulation for a couple of days.

i pick up my one month chip on sunday. i love AA and am glad you do too!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

I have never lost my enthusiasm for AA.