Notices

Bodies/Brains back to normal?

Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bodies/Brains back to normal?

Anyone know any statistics/facts about how soon after sobriety our bodies/brains, etc. return to a healthy normal? Recent blood tests of mine came back normal, so I am assuming I don't have any permanent damage. I am feeling lighter and happier the last couple of days and my digestive issues are going away. I am on Day 32 of Sobriety.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My test results were back to normal after two or three months, and I was on the verge of doing some serious damage.
Mentally, I was well into year two of sobriety before I was barely near the edge of normal.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I think my brain sorted itself out after about 16 months of highs , lows , cravings , memory loss and my brain being foggy and not as quick as it usually is .

I still have quite bad short term recall but that might just be being 40

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad you started this thread, DD.

For the past few weeks, I've questioned whether I'm ADHD or just in transition toward a sober normal. I feel really scatterbrained. For example, I'm easily distracted, will move onto a new task, and then realize 45 minutes later that I didn't finish the first thing. Or I'll grab what I think I need to enter a store, and then look down at what's in my hands and it's some extra random thing that I'm carrying.

I took an ADHD test online and scored mid/low-high, but I hesitate to get on medication if what I'm really doing is just adjusting to a new normal (today is day 73). It leaves me wondering, how do we know if some brain behavior is the 'real us' versus if it's related to early sobriety?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been sober 4½ months and feel fine. There is propably recovery still taking place but somehow the feeling is natural now after this time.

The real difference I think came around the 3-4 month period, so I'd say after 4 months of sobriety.. it will propably get even better but even now it is easy to function etc.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

I would put more stock in medical statistics as they concern 'pure' biologic functioning, things along lines of blood pressure, organ function: liver, kidney, pancreas.
The brain/mental state/mind/personality is to me wayyy more anecdotal. I would bet there is a spectrum or some kind of continuum for tending 'back' to normalcy, but that too would be contingent on a definition of 'normalcy.' As for as us humans figuring out how us humans work, we pretty much got the' how the liver works thingy down', but (absent mind altering chemicals) I do not think we have figured out 'kooky' and its causes, at least no where near enough to "after 14.5 mnths if you are ...then its because.."
Please keep in mind that I am a medical layperson, and I leave my house usually twice... oh yeah keys.. wallet ect
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Mostly sober for about 20 weeks. Good days and bad for sure. I wrote this thread a few weeks ago. Hope it brings some solace.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-alcohell.html
Old 10-30-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

It can take up to 2 years for healing to fully run its course. However, some damage will be permanent, even if only at the cellular level.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It depends on the severity. Everyone is different. Typically PAWS 3-6 months is at its worst, but they say up to 18 months before you should be restored.
I just got back from Treatment and this is what I was told in a Clinical.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
quat

Lol
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged two threads.
For me it took 90 days or so before I felt what I thought was normal again.

D