Notices

Must post I guess

Old 10-29-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Must post I guess

It's saying i must post to become an active member on this site.
I am looking for recovery support. Alli...started drinking about 8 years ago,
rehab graduate, and failure....looking for some genuine support.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome I am so glad to find SR. here is to your new life. I have found all the members very supportive, so you are in good company. Do you have a plan to set sober?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Aliha

Welcome to SR. How are you feeling ? There is a lot of support here for you. Read the threads and post as much as you feel comfortable with. Treat SR as a safe haven. Many of us have been through hell several times over (including me, indeed) before coming here. The main aim is to give you support during recovery.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I 100% want sobriety... have amazing incentive as well...just struggling to follow through.
Detoxed from alcohol almost 2 years ago Nov. 16, and stayed sober for a good while, but since then i have spiraled into the old me. .... My main concern is how to go about, again, saying i need help, after putting my loved ones through hell... i feel like an ass hole...but I'm back to a place i never thought i would be.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aliha

SR really helped me turn my life around - it takes a little effort and willingness to change, but I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you hired to promote SR? or do you have real advice? I am more than willing to submit to my addiction and recovery...how can you help me?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Go easy aliha. Nobody is going to hurt ya here but ya got to work with folks. What's your plan to get sober this time around?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not hired to do anything Aliha
I'm a volunteer here, thats all.

Noones going to make you do anything you don't want to do, but you'll find a lot of support here.

Read around here, find an approach that makes sense to you and ask as many questions as you like....

D
Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no plan, hence the reason i seek guidance... and make me do anything i don't want to? what do you mean?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Reading around will give you a better feel of the place better than I could explain it.

Check out the October Thread and the 24 hours thread - we're all about helping each other here

Hope to see you around
D
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

You need a plan. So let me suggest one. Go to the next AA meeting that you can. If you don't know how to find one I can help.

That's my very best suggestion. How are you with that idea?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello aliha and welcome to SR. This is a safe place to discuss your problems, nobody is going to force you into anything.

There are many people here who have found the support invaluable, me being one of them. I suggest you read around and find out what worked for others. Some people manage to quit by logging on here every day and talking through the issues as they arise. Some join AA. Some follow a more secular route. Different approaches work for different people, but they all start with putting down that drink and making a commitment to sobriety.

How can we help you?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Aliha

NO one is asking you to do something that is against your will. THe folks here including me just want to give you support and guidance. It is up to you whether you wish to accept the advice. Just know that there is no hidden agenda. The only agenda is to help each other stay sober !
Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Any other advice, outside of AA reference? I am not a christian...yes raised catholic by a parents who fall into the top 2% of the income bracket...but I found AA to be solely based on God... any other route of support would be helpful.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There is a secular forum here. Check it out and ask questions.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Lots of useful advice and support here.

AA isn't the only way at all. I am a member and it has saved my life, but I have also used AVRT to successfully deal with my smoking addiction. I am a regular poster in both the 12 step and secular forums. I would just like to point out that not being a believer in God did not hinder my progress when I started.

Best wishes to you. See you around.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aliha View Post
Any other advice, outside of AA reference? I am not a christian...yes raised catholic by a parents who fall into the top 2% of the income bracket...but I found AA to be solely based on God... any other route of support would be helpful.
Try this Ailha. #1: go for a nice walk around your neighborhood. Take a look around. A 30 minute walk, a 1 hour walk, whatever. For as long as you don't want to drink, take a walk. And not to the gas station/liquor store

#2: I get bored to without drinking. Test your metal. You are stronger than this substance. Once again, take a walk, drive, waste gas, go to different places in the area that you had wanted to explore. You know you have such places you know you do lol.

#3:try not to drink during these voyages. Trust soberrecovery.com. You won't enjoy these simple journeys drunk. But sober? We want to hear all about it!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I genuinely thank you for your consideration and help. I find its not exactly personal, more vague, or textbook, so I don't think this forum is for me. But I do appreciate the message you are trying to send. Goodbye.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I guess aliha that it's hard to be personal when we don't know you. Each of us can only share what has worked for us.

I was a daily blackout drinker when I found SR and on the verge of losing it all...my marriage, my family, my job. I was scared and anxious and suicidal. There was something about this place that drew me in. I posted every day and built up a support network of people I grew to call my friends.

I am 17 months sober now and I had drunk all my adult life. Miracles happen here.

Give it some time and read other people's stories. Lots of good stuff going on x