Notices

crashed into a mailbox

Old 10-29-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

crashed into a mailbox

well ive been on sr for yrs popping in and out just like me being sober! doesnt last long! anyway i had been trying to moderate my drinking feeling a twinge of sadness everytime my wine bottle was empty but not going to get a new one {like usual} obviously i deserved a medal for only drinking one bottle of wine lol then sunday the inevitable happened drank 4 bottles of wine took the hubbies car for a spin and took out half the subdivisions mailboxes!! i know im lucky believe me the anxiety is killing me. im a happily married mother of 3.wtf am i thinking? respectable mother at the grocery store by day drunken lush by night! i haved vowed to give this sobriety a real chance this time... i know alot of ur stories from being on here all the time {half the time bombed} so i just wanted to introduce myself and get this sober party started!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the posting side of things peacedevine
do you have any kind of a plan to stay sober?

D
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not particularly dee well not yet anyway im not sure yet what will work best i know aa for me is not an option i live in a small town with only 1 aa meeting and most the ppl there are only there for legal reasons just take it 1 day at a time for now
Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to be willing to do whatever it takes, including the only meeting in town.

The next time, it might not be a mailbox, it could be a six year old.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm with DB. Go to the meeting. Then go to the next closest town and go to their meetings. You need a bit more substantial plan at the least IMO
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, what a crazy scenario peacedivine. You weren't hurt, no one else got hurt. My 3 aggrivated Dui's got no one hurt.

But it could have happened. I might not be able to talk to you all if I hurt a person during those stints. I would be in jail, probably prison for manslaughter. And would deserve it.

Peacedivine you are so fortunate to not have hurt anyone. I am too.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peacedevine View Post

i just wanted to introduce myself and get this sober party started!!

nice
Mountainman
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

That's a sad story, peacedevine. You already know from hanging around SR your not alone when it comes down to past experiences with drinking and driving. Its a touchy subject (of course) because of all the what-ifs. And of course too many innocent people do lose lives from driving drunk. Please don't be afraid to own what you have shared, and don't be put off by others reminding you how touchy such a thing is around here. No one can really afford to cast stones around here, even if they think they can.

Why do we keep drinking even though we really want to quit? Take a serious look at what is called addiction ambivalence and you'll get a good understanding of how we can be driven by our addictive desires/ideations into doing all kinds of crazy to get that next drink or next drug. There is just an early uphill experience with quitting the addiction -- and so having a well grounded idea and commitment to quitting really made the difference for me. I really didn't care what sobriety meant -- I really concentrated on staying quit and doing whatever had to be done to ensure I stayed quit. My enjoyment with sober living came soon after but not before I got the quit thing down and done.

There are many ways to keep sober and/or be abstinent, as you already know, I'm sure. As you stay quit, you'll be surprised how quickly your un-drunken mind reaches out for better answers then alcohol/wine can ever offer. Quitting is of course a struggle, but don't worry about it more or less really - throw everything you got into staying quit and the rest will work itself out as you make choices relative to your own experiences

Take it easy, peacedevine.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Sounds like you got lucky in your driving misadventure.

How old are your kids?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds very scary, Peace. I hope you can make a plan to stop drinking.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Peace and good for your post. For me my plan to get sober and STAY sober started with me being honest with myself about my drinking. The biggest thing is NOT picking up the first drink! I and many of us need to share with people who understand us and I chose a very old fellowship called AA. Other methods are around but not when I put the plug in the jug. It's a simple process but not easy for many so hang in there or try a detox if it's too unmanageable along with seeing your doctor and again being honest. BE WALL
Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Peacedevine
Feel free to come join us in the October Class http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

A very good friend of mine in AA was involved in an accident where someone lost their foot. Alcohol cost him $500,000 and $200,000 he was reponsible for. He almost lost everything he owned but is very grateful that it was not worse.

Drinking and driving is serious stuff.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

not particularly dee well not yet anyway im not sure yet what will work best i know aa for me is not an option i live in a small town with only 1 aa meeting and most the ppl there are only there for legal reasons just take it 1 day at a time for now
This is what my alcoholic voice was telling me before I quit. When you actually quit, it becomes much less of a big deal to put yourself out there. I lived in fear of anyone knowing my "secret". Now that I've quit, I could care less if people know that I had a problem in the past that I had to overcome.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! So glad you are ok...and glad you posted. I can relate to having kids at home, and being drunk at night....once, I even went to school to pick them up drunk. I think I may have even attended a teacher/parent conference drunk. (Don't remember, but they are in their 20's now)...It's a tough road to tow...hang in there...
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Peace!!! Lot's of support here! It is never too late to stop ...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi guys thanks for all ur responses although some were judgemental feeling but thats ok ill own my stupidity. as for aa ya know its not the only way to get/stay sober! i do live in a very small town with only 1 aa meeting i know numerous ppl who go to it and i dont feel sitting around with them talking about drinking or lack there of is what i need personally for my recovery! i feel like theres just a better way for me although i highly respect aa conceptually and happy for all its worked for! also idc who knows about my driinking believe me im sure more ppl than we realize know about it its def our alcoholic brain who makes us think otherwise lol as of right now im just very happy to be sober right now havent drNk since sunday and looking forward to pumpkin carving and trick or treating!!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hi guys thanks for all ur responses although some were judgemental feeling but thats ok ill own my stupidity. as for aa ya know its not the only way to get/stay sober! i do live in a very small town with only 1 aa meeting i know numerous ppl who go to it and i dont feel sitting around with them talking about drinking or lack there of is what i need personally for my recovery! i feel like theres just a better way for me although i highly respect aa conceptually and happy for all its worked for! also idc who knows about my driinking believe me im sure more ppl than we realize know about it its def our alcoholic brain who makes us think otherwise lol as of right now im just very happy to be sober right now havent drNk since sunday and looking forward to pumpkin carving and trick or treating!!

Personally I would suggest an AA meeting or two in the beginning. I understand it not being for you though. Perhaps you could check out our other forums, including Secular Recovery. There are a lot of helpful posts and methods in that forum to stop drinking including AVRT, SMART etc.

The biggest thing though, is admitting to yourself you have a problem and that you can no longer drink normally. Once that has set it (in my experience) the other stuff "starts" to kind of fall into place.

Welcome and stick around. This place is FANTASTIC with many many great people.