Notices

Quick Question

Old 06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick Question

I just found this site the other day and it has really helped me. It is kind of weird, but I have no desire to drink anymore (I feel lucky). I have not had a drink since last October, so I feel very proud of that!!

Initially, I voluntarily went throught outpatient treatment and after would go to three AA meetings a week. After awhile, I felt like I was just going through the motions at the meetings, so I stopped (dangerous). Has anybody else had this feeling?

I think this forum may provide me with what I need to stay sober. Thanks and I am open to any advice!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

heh david
i was pretty beaten down when i started in AA/NA. I dove in - all the way in- got a sponsor, worked steps etc
i got such huge gifts- in a few years, my son and i's relationship was restored, a real close old drinkin bro got sober, i made my amends, especially to my parents, my broken career came back bigger than ever, i even squared up w/ the IRS!!
and many more miracles too numerous to list
I cannot see how, left to my own devices, i could have stayed sober, let alone acquired the total behavioral, spiritual change that has borne such fruit. When i have gotten 'meeting stale' or [my usual pattern] let a relationship get between me and meetings, i get pretty nuts. And altho in 8 yrs, i havent had a drink, i have seen myself begin [in hindsight] a recognizable downward spiral.

I have put together a bunch of sober bros who will reach out and ask me WTF is going on. And i have always tried to keep up w/ my sponsor. And i worked those steps more than once as if my life depended on it- so far, that foundation has worked for me.
I have also kept looking for meetings that 'spoke' to me- have found many that really did nothing more than just keep me from drinking for an hour- i know now that recovery is so much more than that...
hope this helps
BTW- congrats on your mutimonth sobriety- that IS the mos fundamental thing
mackat
Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Early in recovery I felt the same, figured I was healed, knew what had to be done. Wasn't long before I started buggin. I've decided that because I've been handed a gift in the program of AA and my miracle is in progress, I must continue to work the program and go to my meetings. I've never regreted going on those day's you really don't feel like it. If it means I'll never have to take a drink again, I know I can never become complacent. I know it's what saved my life. All's I have to do is remember my last drunk, and I find that motivation to keep going back..... but that's just me and my simple thoughts.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi David
Chy's post says alot...
Keep hanging out here and try not to take your wonderful sobriety for granted.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by David 1
I think this forum may provide me with what I need to stay sober. Thanks and I am open to any advice!!!
Some of what you need to stay sober.
I spend a lot of time here, given what my schedule is these days. And I draw a tremendous amount of information and encouragement from the people that convene here, for the most part on a daily basis. But for me, removing face to face meetings from the equation would be sabotaging my recovery. Internet recovery message boards such as this one (da cadillac!) serve a purpose, but they can't, simply because of the impersonal nature of the medium, replace sitting in person, live , with other recovering alcoholics.
Simply my experience David.
And welcome
Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great advice - Deep down I know what to do and I will take your advice and get back to meetings, sponsor, etc.

Thanks guys!!!

Dave