Notices

Can't stop eating carbs!!!!!

Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Spinning Sober

I've been eating a good bit! I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies so I don't overindulge on candy! I'm also trying to drink less soda and more tea, Gatorade, etc. Key word is trying! I've gained a lot of weight since I first got sober in 2010 but I think some of it is due to my antidepressant.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting read here.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If I have a food craving, I usually let myself have it--I love chocolate! going a little crazy with all the Halloween candy at work. Pasta's good too. Potato chips are salty and yummy. Anything that's not alcohol I figure is ok lol. But I try to stay reasonable and eat healthfully most of the time. But I don't mind rewarding myself with a tasty treat now and then, instead of alcohol. I actually am eating much better now that I'm sober because I don't eat all the nasty "hangover food," or just skip meals and drink instead, blech.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

During the first months I had Ben & Jerry's ice cream most everyday on top of a nutritionally sound diet. The ice cream was a reward for winning the day by being free of alcohol. It was and remains important for all of us to celebrate victories. At 10 months I still have some kind of feel good food on the weekends.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm at day 63 and my carb cravings are finally dropping off! If you need carbs 16 days in, give yourself permission.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't have even the vaguest hint of a sweet tooth but I've been living on gummy bears for the past week. Yesterday was a co-workers burthday and she brought in loads of cream cakes...I ate 4!

I figure right now what matters is that I'm not drinking. I can tackle sugar in a little while when things are less difficult.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Like some of you, I have been letting myself give in to those carb cravings because they are much better than drinking.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Exactly. During my early days I indulged my sugar cravings because it was better than drinking. I'm still craving sugar 3 months later but I've been trying to cut down my sugar intake and increase the amount of fruit, veg and other healthy foods. I haven't done too well so far - it feels like I've been losing and putting on the same 5 lbs for weeks! But I'm trying again today. So far I feel okay.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am on Day 37 and going through halloween chocolat bars like never before. Will have to go back out to buy more to give out at halloween. Did not eat sweets before.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I ate a lot of chocolate that first month or so, too. I just caution people, watch it, you would not want to be simply exchanging one unhealthy habit for another.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

With me its on and off with sweet things. Same with coffee, the last month or so drank about 4 cups a day, today nothing but green tea. Icecream, every so often....last Sat was last time I had it. Chocolate the same, every so often. Fried bacon, hmmm.......that really floats my boat.

My waste size has gone down a size and a half, which really makes me feel good. Do watch what I eat but do eat the feel good foods / snacks when I get the taste. Have really started to look after my self, dentist, reg check ups, the works, having quit drinking can really see a reason to look after myself.