Notices

Are there signs of a relapse?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl-this is not your problem. Please concentrate on looking after you.You cannot save or cure this man,nor should you have to try.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I find this list spot on...7 Warning Signs You Are Heading for a Relapse

but like others said, if he's relapsed it's information you can use to make choices about further involvement with him, but is relapse is his own, and you are better off focusing on yourself.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by sbfoxy View Post
I'm just wondering if there are any sure fire signs that someone is about to relapse?
Not sure about "sure signs" as long as the will to fight to stay sober is present. Once the guard is down, than the end game is near...

Originally Posted by NJNikki View Post
When I become complacent and take my sobriety for granted, that is when the beast can sneak back in for me. This site keeps me well reminded and grounded.
Ditto this. Complacency is quite dangerous, that feeling of "I can have it, I recovered enough..."

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
Everybody is different.
Ditto.

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
My sign was I started talking about how I "wasn't really an alcoholic" . This was after 19 months sobriety . Went back out for a few months and found out I really WAS.
A great complacency example. Thanks.

Originally Posted by opentorecieve View Post
What I've learned about relapse in my own battle is that it may start days, weeks even months before the act of using. For me I become complacent in my recovery, and withdrawal from my support network. Kind of "hide out" on life. I don't want to be seen. I don't want to see myself. Deep down I'm already in using mode.
Yeah, this is a "build up for a drink," when we start to get ready for it. In my case I start to blather about having some wine, a nice glass of a great wine in some nice restaurant.

A beautiful idea, a cunning AV might suggest. Only that I have never, ever managed to stay with that glass or bottle of wine. But once I start to forget about it, I am in a real danger...

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
IOAA2 hit it right on the head, "isolation". Isolation is one of the worst things for a person in recovery. DO NOT let yourself go there!
I'm totally isolated, but totally.

Sometimes the despair of loneliness has been matched with the despair of sitting alone in a bar and drinking in an early afternoon, filed with self-loathing... and I had no idea which one was worse.

Having a drink was always easier so... yes, that's another danger...

Damn...

Good luck to all!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for your help guys. I guess I'm still in hope that after a while, he may come back. I know I shouldn't be thinking of that but my own recovery, it's just that it's so difficult at the moment because it's all so fresh & raw.

Do the addicts still have bad memories of when they were active drinkers/users even if their partner wasn't?

Thanks for all your help & advice. It is much appreciated and I know that SR is helping me because everyday (and it IS everyday, at the moment) that I'm feeling sad & down, I come back here and it gives me some hope & guidance that I will smile and be happy again one day.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by sbfoxy View Post
Someone else's, Carl. My recent ex-boyfriend. He said he's thinking more & more about how a drink would taste or how a sniff would make him feel.
That would be it. I read something on here when I was new. It talked about how to relapse. Start thinking about using. Start romanticizing it. The relapse actually takes place before you use. He has to stop putting positive mental images of the use in his mind. Immediately
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, sometimes it happens like you had a lobotomy and some alien has taken over your rational brain.

I'm 1.3 years loving and living sober. I was doing everything right according to what was working for me. I had a business trip (not my first sober) recently and for a reason I simply cannot explain wound up at the bar drinking wine after my work responsibilities were complete and I only had 12 hours left before heading home. I don't even like wine. I'm an alcoholic. I don't drink. But there I was. It was like an out of body experience. And it kinda was because I blacked out. Lost about 2 hours I will never remember and never get back. A kind soul, an angel on earth, took care of me (a total stranger but employee of a reputable hotel) and I remember bits and pieces of this person guiding me, with the patience of a saint, apparently during the blackout and stayed with me for hours until it was time to go. This person, was so kind to me as I cried like a fool about my behavior and blabbed on and on about how I didn't know how this happened. They didn't judge me, make me feel foolish, or ashamed. I am blessed. Very, very blessed.

And so...sometimes relapse or "slip" just happens with no real explaination. I had no intention then and do not now to go back to the drinking life. But it happened to me. And it was scary. Blacking out after 2 glasses of wine is NOT normal.

Apologies this turned into a confessional. I just felt compelled to share. No one will ever take away my sober time, but it is now 1.3 year minus a day. I'm disappointed in myself but proud that I know and understand what happened and will continue to work hard everyday to make sure it never happens again.