Notices

Some things I've noticed

Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some things I've noticed

I haven't been on in a few days and thought I would check in this morning and read a few posts and post an update myself.

So I'm at 54 days now without drinking. I would never have thought this possible 55 days ago but here I am! It's becoming overall easier each day - I don't think as much about drinking or lack of drinking on a normal day - but then I find myself in a situation that I used to enjoy a drink and those moments are tough. I'm not going to lie. I'm pleased that I've managed to resist although I won't say it's been fun and that I haven't been a grumpy **** at times!

In terms of all the other stuff that's been going on: I've had 7 of 8 CBT sessions for my self esteem, anxiety and depression issues and those are really helping. I'm hoping to get approval from my insurance company for another 8 sessions.

After a lot of soul searching, discussions with friends and family and counting the pennies I handed in my notice to quit my current job. I met with my boss on Friday and she was understanding, supportive and told me references would be forthcoming when I'm ready. I couldn't really have asked for more. Yesterday I started looking at what I might do now and I'm excited about it rather than scared!

A few things I've noticed over the past few weeks:

1) People actually do still want to spend time with me on a night out even if I'm not drinking. Although as nights go on and they drink more I less want to spend time with them...

2) I have the ability to be interested in other things in life. Reading, films, books, German, running - all these things have taken on extra enjoyment for me over the past few weeks.

3) In Britain every occasion seems to be a reason to have a drink. I miss drinking but I can't let myself do it as it's not the same experience for me as for other people. I'm still working on accepting this.

4) I can't drink anymore because what I was missing/looking for can't be find at the bottom of a bottle no matter how many I drink to try and find it.

5) Alcohol smells bad, pubs smell bad and people drinking stink of it!

6) I really enjoy a good cup of coffee and if the OH wants to have a drink he needs to find a place that also does a good espresso or Americano for me!

7) I read Facebook on a Saturday night and feel a bit jealous when I see pictures of nights out and drinks and then feel a bit smug when I see the hangover updates on a Sunday morning.

8) I sleep better without a drink. It might take me longer to get there but the overall experience is more enjoyable.

9) I no longer have to waste energy and worry on 'the fear'.

10) This is a battle and I must not let my guard down.

Will stop rambling on now. It's a rare sunny morning in Glasgow so that's my excuse! Wishing everyone all the best with their recoveries.

NS
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great list! Keep goin'
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I enjoyed your post today and I can relate to a lot of it. A group of friends have just been away for a weeks holiday and there are daily photos on Facebook. EVERY and I mean EVERY photo of them has a table full of drinks in front of them and everyone is having a good time. I am also envious of them and wished I was there. My AV says look what you are missing out on. Then I wake up this morning and I feel great and have no worries. My AV has suddenly gone quiet again , funnily enough! There are things and times I miss alcohol, I think this is natural, but overall there is no way I would want to go back to it. Thanks again for your post.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to admit to feeling a smug satisfaction too, reading facebook updates on a sunday morning

Great list!!