Notices

After 4 months sober I've had 2 glasses of red with dinner..

Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by seashell2005 View Post
Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm firmly decided to stay on the soberity path...
I just hope that one day I can look at a great bottle of wine without the incredible urge to drink it. Is the craving ever going to pass?
Craving? yes I think it will, Obsession...if we don't feed it, they will pass. But I think it's like a lot of things in life, we get to a point when we cant' do, have, eat or drink something that once gave us pleasure. And even years later, when we see it and can't have it, we sigh, feel a little sad, but appreciate that we did once enjoy it and get on with life.

As long as we don't get caught up in self pity, scheming, etc etc, it soon passes.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it will pass, but it took me a lot longer than 4 months. Even after a year, I was very cautious where I went. As Dee said, recovery had to be a priority for me, and I would never have managed to enjoy an evening at a wine tasting at 4 months into recovery. I'm glad you're back and working at your recovery again.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
AlmA

Sorry.....seashell2005

It is a tiny slip back...
you are not the first one nor the last one...
just learn from it...

It happens to me I love Red Wine...
But I do not have the power to stop in two.

But Hey you stooped!!!
So who cares you know you do not want to go back to it...

What is done is gone... look forward now.
no point punishing yourself... done over move forward...

We fall and we get up!!!
So back on the Game
Old 10-28-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I recently relapsed after 50 days - real gut crusher. Fortunately it was only one slip and I got back into my program. I thought about quitting, giving up, etc - I think we get that number stuck in our head and we reach a certain point of sobriety - 6 months/1 year - whatever it is - and we think it's some sort of proving ground of being cured or conquering our addiction. After this last slip I went through a period of grief, then realized my program must be working (although I slipped) because I can count more sober days in the past few months than I have ever been able to average before; let alone CONSECUTIVE sobriety. It's just a number - focus on the bigger picture.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I totally agree Jaylaa.....this number thing sometimes does more harm than good....
Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This number thing does my head in. I prefer to coast along til someone like Deeker reminds me of a monthly acheivement from the 24 club . I find a daily number too much pressure , but that's just me , personally xx
Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Seashell at four months I would have caved in that situation, one of my specialties was three glasses of wine at a dinner followed by a bottle when I got home. At four months I could not have put myself in that situation and come out of it sober, even now at almost eight months that would be a huge temptation.

My experience points to two things to think about. I'm assuming you didn't say you weren't drinking that night so when offered wine you didn't have to back pedal. On the few occasions I go to dinner at the moment I remove the wineglass with a lighthearted comment like "I won't be needing that thanks, I'm not drinking" then I ask for a tumbler. To drink I then would have to go back on my word and ask for a wineglass.

Secondly I take something nice to drink, for me it's San Pellegrino citrus soft drinks. I'm not at the mercy of a sugary soft drink or orange juice, and I have smart little bottles to put on the table. Most importantly, I enjoy them so I don't feel deprived.

It really works for me to set myself up to succeed instead of floating along and letting others' decisons determine mine. If asked about not drinking I simply say I've been off alcohol for ages and I'm feeling great (which is true), then I flip the conversation to something else.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not counting days that makes us drink again...and it's not not counting days either.
I've seen successes both ways

Its that decision where we decide that one won't matter, or it's just a couple to fit in....or whatever else we tell ourselves in order to drink again

Those are the things we have to look at I think?

D
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Dee i always love your analogies. :-)
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great posts Marcher 13 and Dee! I have done the same thing with wine glasses....and usually will bring along water or ice tea (if where I am going doesn't serve iced tea...in Costa Rica the Te Frio is full of sugar). When I first stopped drinking years ago (of course I have relapsed), but I found it so very helpful to find something else to drink, so as to have a glass in my hand...even at home. I started with diet Snapple...and loved it. Over the years, it has been water or iced tea