SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   A Wonderful Mistake (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/311921-wonderful-mistake.html)

venuscat 10-27-2013 08:11 PM

A Wonderful Mistake

At almost 9 month sober, I am doing a lot of reflecting.
I know that I need to continue making positive changes in my life if I want to keep this precious gift ~ for sobriety is indeed a gift.

Every day I come here, and every day I smile, feel inspired, feel loved, and can return that love to the wonderful people who come to SR.

I am truly blessed.

There is a little question on our profile pages: "How did you find SR?"
To be honest, I've been wondering that for quite some time.
So today with a little time on my hands, I did some investigating.
The answer is kind of funny, and I wanted to share.

When I came here in November last year, I was very, very drunk.
I knew that I had joined a recovery website a few years ago, and I Googled.
No idea what I put in the search box, but somehow this site came up.

I remember thinking it looked different, but hey, I was drunk.
I had no idea what my username/passwords were, so I started again.

That beginning was the very best thing that has ever happened to me in my life.
This place is home to me now; the members here are family and beloved friends.
I could not imagine my life without SR.

So the funny part?
The recovery site I had previously joined was not SR at all.
I made a mistake that night, and got here completely by accident.

Someone was looking out for me that night;
and I am eternally grateful to be here with all of you every single day.

Much love,

Venus xx

nel68 10-27-2013 08:16 PM

****{Hugs&Love Venus}}} Keep up the awesome work girlie :)

Received 10-27-2013 08:19 PM

Well your "accident" is our gain. I know I'm sure glad you were here when I came along.

sugarbear1 10-27-2013 08:19 PM

I am so very happy you found SR!!!!!!

:ring

Dee74 10-27-2013 08:24 PM

I'm glad you found us too Venus :)

D

TexasMichael 10-27-2013 08:44 PM

I was three months sober when I found SR. For three months I was searching different alcoholism related terms and going to probably 15 different sites. None of them "felt" right for some reason.

In June SR came up in a search (not sure what I did different) and I started reading posts. I was scared to join at first. I thought they would sell all my personal info and flood me with advertisements.

After lurking on SR everyday for a couple of weeks I decided to take a chance and join. What a pleasant surprise. No ads or privacy issues. Just lots of caring friends with the same goal - Help people overcome addiction.

I could not believe everything on SR was free. Four months later and I still come every day. Many days just to read. Some days to post advice for others.

I even got the SR iphone app for my phone (cost 99 cents). Best dollar I have spent in a long time. I feel like I have my sponsers (all my SR friends) with me wherever I go.

jaynie04 10-27-2013 08:45 PM

I couldn't help notice the time of your post 1111......:)!

There are no coincidences!

venuscat 10-27-2013 08:50 PM

Oh jaynie, you are so right! Magic! :)

Love V xx

neferkamichael 10-27-2013 08:56 PM

Venus, you are FANTASTIC. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

venuscat 10-27-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by TexasMichael (Post 4262034)
I even got the SR iphone app for my phone (cost 99 cents). Best dollar I have spent in a long time. I feel like I have my sponsers (all my SR friends) with me wherever I go.

I feel exactly the same way TexasMichael

I sit in my dad's room in his nursing home, and every email ding on my fone reminds me that everyone here is with me...it is a wonderful feeling of security.

Love V xx

pinkdog 10-27-2013 10:29 PM

Hi venuscat, great job on sobriety. I'm glad you are here. :c011:

Coldfusion 10-27-2013 10:38 PM

Thanks for all your thoughtful posts, Venus.

But I didn't know there were other recovery websites...

Marcher13 10-27-2013 10:39 PM

My story is a Google one too. My left ankle had been sore and swollen for a while, I began to have ideas that it might be gout (have since found out that gout is another issue altogether) so I started googling alcohol, alcoholic etc. Somewhere SR popped up, I read around, felt this was the real deal, joined the March class and that was it. I've been here every single day since -- SR has been my one recovery tool.

Not only that I made friends with Venus -- double score!

venuscat 10-27-2013 10:40 PM

Thank you Coldy :)

Love you Marcher!!! :) ♥♥♥

V xx

LadyinBC 10-27-2013 10:53 PM

Congrats on 9 months Venuscat that is awesome!

I love this site and I'm so thankful I found it. I was over 5 months sober when I discovered it and after I found I wished I would have found it when I first started realizing I had to get sober. But maybe it was meant to be that way.

At any rate I am so glad you are here and I'm glad that others are finding this site as well. It makes such a difference in recovery to be around people that care and understand.

Jeni26 10-27-2013 11:30 PM

Your mistake is our gain Venus...you are a much loved and valued member of this forum. So glad you're with us.

Congratulations on your 9 months. Awesome :c011:

SnoozyQ 10-27-2013 11:54 PM

:Blackcat04:I am so glad you are here Cat ;-) if i hadn't have ventured in here that fateful day , I would never have met you and i value our friendship. You are such an inspiration to me .

I know we will go on to have a lifelong friendship.

Much love Always ;-)

:V14

venuscat 10-27-2013 11:58 PM

Yes we will Snoozy love (have a lifelong friendship); I am blessed to have you in my life.

We are all blessed to have your warmth and wit and genuineness here on SR. ♥

And you are an inspiration to me every day.

Love V xx

least 10-28-2013 09:16 AM

I'm so glad you joined our family. :hug: And congrats on nearly nine months sober!! :c011:

wackybunny 03-14-2014 09:57 PM

I'm sure glad you're here Venuscat! You said it best -

"We are all blessed to have your warmth and wit and genuineness here on SR. ♥
And you are an inspiration to me every day."