Notices

I relapsed

Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by someonesmiles View Post
Thank you for your reply. I just did it, kept going, no support groups. But I'm bored and lonely and weighted down with responsibility. I'm feeling really lost.
AA may be able to help you with some of this..
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome someone smiles,

I relapsed after I quit drinking for 11.5 years. Just up and quit, cold turkey. I remember thinking that it would be no problem to stop again once the progression and insanity of alcoholism returned.

That was over a decade ago. I have relapsed repeatedly since then. At least 50 times. Even after more than a year a sober a couple times. I won't bore you with the drunkalogs...but, for me, I needed to loose almost everything I held near and dear.

Been sober about 5 months as of today. The biggest change for me this time has been the fellowship that AA provides. Just went to a meeting on June 3rd broken down and totally out of the blue sky. Opened my mind, not seeking faults. By the end of the first week I had opened my heart. I go to a meeting almost every day. I also come here for support.

You will find out from the great people here on SR that there are a variety of programs that can work. You willingness to not drink is the most important aspect IMO. Sobriety first!

Just letting you know that quitting again forever after that major success out of the gate has been the biggest challenge that I have ever faced in my life...BY FAR!!

I wish you all the best in your new and hopefully final sober journey.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

somesmiles, I just got out of rehab Wednesday and I had to take that time to prepare myself to recover my life…again. I had 13 years at one time and a glass of Champagne brought me down. Then there have been years of long sobriety punctuated by numerous relapses. This time around I created such a mess (blaming it all on everything BUT drinking). Let's just say that my return home I was astonished at the chaos. I spent every day since Wednesday attacking this, one thing at a time. I am far from done but I cannot ignore that it was taking me days to TRY to accomplish (in alcoholic fog) what 1 hour of unpleasant work sober can do.

You said: "I had stopped watching myself, and had allowed myself to get lazy, lonely and isolated." You couldn't have put it better. That is what I allowed to happen too.

I go to AA every day, have a great sponsor, but I am also taking baby steps toward filling up those gaps in my life. I set myself hourly goals to address lazy, will re-activate activities that involve me in life to address lonely, and am volunteering time to work at the SPCA to start becoming un-isolated. The return to gym helps too.

It is so hard but you can do this.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

good Morning Someonesmiles,
Well at least it is in this part of the world. How are you doing today? Are you struggling, if it helps talk about it, if you are drinking and feel embarrassed its OK.

Caihong
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Smile Love the venuscat

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Hi someonesmiles,

I'm so glad you have joined us here ~ there is so much support, and so many tips to help us to stay sober.
And one of the most wonderful things about this site? I don't have to feel lonely any more. There is always someone here to listen, and to help out.

This is a tricky disease, but we can come back from relapses.
I know you can do this; we are all here for you!

Love Venus xx
Hi venuscat
I love you're pick of venuscat he/ she is very cute.Its very easy to slip but I remember the bad side of alcohol the dodgy people in bars the shirkers etc. the feeling of nausea the next day etc that stops me right now. Even one drink gets me a sore head so I don't.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You caught yourself quickly. That's awesome! Some of us waste years on the relapse. Welcome!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's too easy especially if we are stressed not looking after ourselves not eating etc. life is not easy and as you get harder it's a long time living. My mum used to always say you are a long time dead and it's true!! It would be great if alcohol / drugs never had side effects.my mum was dead at 44 not from drugs or alcohol but a long term illness. My dad was dead at 55 major heart attack. Life don't seem fare at times. They keep saying we are no going to live until 100!! No way I am broke now just the thought of living to that age is extremely stressful!!