Notices

I'm thinking of drinking again

Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of drinking again

I used to drink daily. I drank around a 6-pack of beer a night, give or take a few. I did this for around 5 years. I never had any trouble from drinking. No drunk driving, no marital problems, and no job related issues.
I never drank to get drunk (my anxiety won't allow me to enjoy getting drunk). I did drink to get a buzz. However I was not happy with myself with drinking on a daily basis. One day I decided to quit, cold turkey.
I did this fairly easy.
I experienced mild withdrawal symptoms (mild anxiety, restlessness). They lasted a few weeks, and by time I was one month sober They were pretty much gone.
That was 6 years ago. Throughout my 6 years sober I've done a lot of soul searching and came to the realization that I created a bad habit, and I would one day like to drink again. My question is will I experience cravings the following day if I ever decide to have a drink again?
Can people who had a drinking problem go on to be able to drink responsibly?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it worth risking a month of 'mild anxiety and restlessness' to find out?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ratso

I haven't drunk for 6 years. I'm totally sure if I started again I'd be back in the same old hole again pretty quickly.

You? I dunno. Is it worth the risk?

what do you think you're missing by being sober? the buzz?

D
Old 10-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have wondered that as well and came to a conclusion. Why bother. Ok I admit I miss the "taste" of wine but I don't miss the out of control feeling the loss of respect from friends the heartache of family, the wasting of money those dam headaches and feeling of immense guilt!!!!
so when I get that sensation of wanting to drink I quickly think of those reasons I state here and more...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Ratso

I haven't drunk for 6 years. I'm totally sure if I started again I'd be back in the same old hole again pretty quickly.

You? I dunno. Is it worth the risk?

what do you think you're missing by being sober? the buzz?

D
I'm missing out on having a beer--I love the way it tastes, and yes I admit, I'm missing out on a buzz.
I'm always around people who drink (family, friends). It is always in my face, so the thoughts are always there. It is not so easy to stay away from family members. Nobody cares that I had a drinking problem, tough luck for me I'm told. I know my problem was probably mild compared to others, but I did have a unhealthy habit---But was it that bad? That's something I question.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Drinking alcohol for me includes a pounding heart almost immediately after my first sip. Followed by anxiety, a spinning room and trouble swallowing. Then the extra added benefits of full body flushing, mild nausea and me trying like hell to drink through the uncomfortableness. To which I have to consume so much that I either black out or get a mild buzz to which I will pay for DEARLY for at least. 3-5 days.

No thanks. Ill remain happily and gratefully, sober.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

My opinion is that if are even posting a thread about this issue, it should be some kind of red flag for you. People who don't have a problem with alcohol don't obsess about whether or not they should drink it.

No one here knows if you will have cravings or not. You are the only one who can answer that. I know for me, if I had a drink tomorrow, then yes, I would be craving and once I started I know I wouldn't stop.

It's really not uncommon for people to think they can drink again when they have been sober for so long. I think it is just natural and that it is a sign that a person needs to take stock and remember why they quit in the first place and to decide if maybe they have become too complacent. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
My opinion is that if are even posting a thread about this issue, it should be some kind of red flag for you. People who don't have a problem with alcohol don't obsess about whether or not they should drink it.

No one here knows if you will have cravings or not. You are the only one who can answer that. I know for me, if I had a drink tomorrow, then yes, I would be craving and once I started I know I wouldn't stop.

It's really not uncommon for people to think they can drink again when they have been sober for so long. I think it is just natural and that it is a sign that a person needs to take stock and remember why they quit in the first place and to decide if maybe they have become too complacent. Just my opinion.
You are probably right. I don't know if I will break down and drink or not, I'm fairly young so thinking I might never drink again is kind of odd. And I am always reminding myself how I felt when I quit. I may have sugar coated it in my original post, it was pretty rough.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ive touched bases with my drug and alcohol councillor as Im having some stressful things going on. I'm learning if/when I have these thoughts I need to share them with my friends and family and councillor who if I cant remember or remind myself why I cant drink .. they can!
Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Why bother falling back into that trap again? I've been sober nearly four years and I know for a fact that if I started again I"d be right back in the same hole I was in four years ago and I don't want to chance it.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angie9 View Post
Ive touched bases with my drug and alcohol councillor as Im having some stressful things going on. I'm learning if/when I have these thoughts I need to share them with my friends and family and councillor who if I cant remember or remind myself why I cant drink .. they can!
Must be nice to have that support, If I say I'm thinking of drinking again, I get the thumbs up from everybody, or told "it's about time you big wuss."
Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Must be nice to have that support, If I say I'm thinking of drinking again, I get the thumbs up from everybody, or told "it's about time you big wuss."
Maybe it's time you made some new friends. How about finding a support group like AA or one of the other alternatives? Most alcoholics working on sobriety need some face-to-face support, which creates sober people you can turn to when you feel triggered.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hard when you have friends and family who drink still, My family still drink but they are supportive of me. Maybe try AA meetings ?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guarantee you won't get those responses here

so apart from the taste and the buzz, peer pressure is a factor too?

D
Old 10-26-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

By some standards ? your drinking may not seem really excessive.
However you seem to want to avoid that old path.
A six pack could get worse, and there's virtually no wriggle room.

As for withdrawal, I can only guess that it would be similar to last time, or a little worse.

Maybe those friends need some assessment....???
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't buy into the peer pressure, I am just around it all the time which makes me think of it (if that's giving in to peer pressure that I am wrong, and have peer pressure bothering me).
I don't buy into the AA thing either. I am not an alcoholic for life, I am not powerless to alcohol. I created a bad habit. I am not going to let somebody tell me I am powerless, or label me as an alcoholic for life. To me that is very demeaning.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
By some standards your drinking may not seem really excessive.
However you seem to want to avoid that old path.
A six pack could get worse, and there's not much wriggle room.

As for withdrawal, I can only guess that it would be similar to last time, or a little worse.
Great answer! You are right, could lead to more down the road, maybe I should be thankful I didn't get into it much deeper and was able to walk away.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

After nearly two years sober I thought I'd try that "social drinking" thing again. Wasn't even really craving, just curious if I could drink normal amounts socially.

Within two weeks I was drinking like I'd never stopped despite a few "good" early rounds. It took me two more weeks to quit, and then a very nasty detox, and now 35 days later I feel like I dodged a bullet and really regret my attempt.

So based on my experience, I'd say don't fool with it. You may get on a slippery slope, or you may not. It is a lot to risk if you have had alcohol issues in the past.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't buy into the peer pressure, I am just around it all the time which makes me think of it (if that's giving in to peer pressure that I am wrong, and have peer pressure bothering me).
I don't buy into the AA thing either. I am not an alcoholic for life, I am not powerless to alcohol. I created a bad habit. I am not going to let somebody tell me I am powerless, or label me as an alcoholic for life. To me that is very demeaning.
My old life was pretty much geared around drinking - being in that life sober either made me sad, mad or wanting to drink, so I changed my life

I'm not in AA either but I've gone back to drinking enough times to know I'm powerless - over alcohol.

Getting out of the toxic relationship I had with alcohol gave me my power back.

I'm free and unfettered and running on all cylinders now.

Just sharing my experience - whatever you decide, I wish you the best Ratso

D
Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think you are one of the 'lucky' ones for one reason or another. A great way to stay lucky is not to tempt fate.

ETA: Why were you not happy with yourself when you originally decided to quit. ? You might try recalling and making a list, bet it's got a few items on it that might bear thinking about again....