Notices

finally made it!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finally made it!

good morning everyone,after reading posts but never writing any over the last 12 months here is my first attempt!just a little background,im on my 4th day sober as I write this but as with many of you I have had many attempts in the past ranging from 2 years 8 months to 9 months then 3 months and the usual few weeks or days half hearted type attempts.the odd thing I find is that after doing almost 3 years my av told me I could have a couple of bottles of beer or share a bottle of wine so I tried it!what happened on the first night,i had two buds then a dozen double vodkas and tonics which just goes to show with alcoholism once a problem always a problem!my gf had an allergy to eggs when I met her 6 years later she still has but doesn't eat them which is the obvious thing to do when you have an allergy,so why as drinkers to we continue knowing the pain it causes us?if its of any value to anyone I have read recently "under the influence"by james milam and Katherine ketcham who believe that alcohol is the primary problem in our lives not a secondary to say upbringing, society etc which they explained the people with our problem physically don't break alcohol down the same as a normal drinker therefore causing a reaction to continue to oblivion so to speak.when I look back to being a young person of 14 or 15 I was asked by my dad to serve drinks to his guests at a party for him and my mum which I did but drank so much I was sick in front of everyone!which just goes to show in my case I was going to drink alcoholically from day one which I did up to the present and im in my mid forties now!anyway don't want to keep rambling on and hope my post may help someone,have a good sober weekend everyone and kindest regards
Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi HH

Welcome to SR ! Well done on giving sobriety another shot. SR is a great forum and the folks here are super supportive. Keep posting, read the threads and stay connected ! I wish you the best of luck !
Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Hothow, welcome to SR. I'm at the end of day 6 and can hardly believe it. I've been trying to quit/cut down for a couple of years now without luck. However, this time I've been going to AA and it seems to be working, well that and I really, really want to quit now. I've also learned alot along the way and firmly believe that every relapse/slip has a lesson in it. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and look forward to chatting here. You will find lots of support here, the people are amazing and they have helped me through some of my darkest moments. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome hothow, SR is a great place for support. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am new here too, having relapsed for the last 3 years following lots of years of sobriety....I have heard it said that people think that alcohol causes problem....but when you take away the alcohol, the problems go away too. Yes, we all have ups and downs...but alcohol only makes them worse and creates new ones as well. Glad you are here....I have found a lot of support
Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Hothow! Welcome, finally, to SR! Great that you opened up and posted. I have found wonderfully needed support and strangers who cared about me. Congrads on day 4! keep up the good work! BTW, excellent example when you compared alcoholism to egg allergies, makes total sence to me! Take care and see around the Forums, TF
Old 10-26-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome to SR hothow.

Your story sounds close to mine except I can "handle" moderation for a while. After being sober almost a year I decided to have a cold beer to celebrate. No problem. I was "cured." I went for a couple of months drinking only one or two occasionally. Somehow after that I was back to drinking 10+ per day and having beer for breakfast. Took me another 3 1/2 years to stop again. Don't ever want to go back to Day 1 again.

Congratulations on Day 4. That's a good start.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Congrats on never giving up giving up, hothow Sending lots of grim determination your way
Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks for all the support folks im touched,heres to a sober future for us all!:regards
Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome hothow

D
Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you hothow! I think you'll really benefit from joining us. It's great to have you here.

I knew early on that I didn't drink like others - but that didn't stop me either. I spent decades trying to control what I drank, but it never worked. In the end, it was much easier to stop playing with it. I never knew what would happen once it was in my system. It was only bringing me disaster. It's great to be free.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Hothow!