Notices

Alone in a hotel room

Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone in a hotel room

Hi all- I have not posted for quite awhile. Thought I would check in. I have been sober the last 142 days, attending two meetings a day (groups at my medical plan and AA). I was sober for over 26 years before a relapse. I am slowly re-discovering the sober woman that had a fabulous life. I am learning how to process my anger and resentments and feel that I am progressing quickly in my recovery (my therapist agrees). I have traveled alone twice in my recovery and had a plan in place, and actually got to attend great AA meetings in Chicago. Tomorrow morning I have another trip, just 4 days, but nights alone in a hotel room. Just wanted to check in before I go in case I need to post while I am traveling. I have appreciated the quick response to the few posts I have made, and hope that should I need to post I find the same encouragement^.^
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We will be here!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're here! Post as much as you need to
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always support here BL

have a good, sober trip

D
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BubbaL, I have been there and recently. Please stay close!
Yours,
Cas
Old 10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We're here if you need us. Safe trip.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I admire you Bubba. I've been sober just awhile, but enough to have known 2 people who went out again and did not come back. I also am in AA, and I come here every evening for a meeting before turning in for the night. Paraphrasing the Motel 6 guy ... I'm sure the folks here on SR "Will keep the light on for ya!" I'll look for ya, have safe & sober journey.
. Bobbi
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for replies! will be in touch and look forward to having the "light on"!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow! 26 years sober? That's impressive. It also shows us that time alone doesn't cure addiction. I have quit drinking but all it would take is one drink to put be back where I was a little over a year ago.

It's great to have you here, Bubbalove!
Old 10-26-2013, 03:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful trip... Pack some good books for your alone time in the hotel. Congratulations on 26 years and 142 days!
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have a safe trip, and great job getting back on track!! If you ever have a trip to MPLS let me know and I would be more than willing to come and hit some meetings with ya.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Alone in a hotel room has been a dangerous time for me, so I can relate to your feelings.

Some things I've found helpful.

Don't stay in a hotel room that has a mini bar in it! Have a couple of plans for what you are going to do in the evening so that if one doesn't pan out you have a backup.

Some of the things I've done include shopping, going to a movie, going to an AA meeting, exercise, and making dinner plans if I know somebody. Try not to isolate even if you don't know anybody. I try not to sit in the hotel room alone in the early evening hours. Later, when I do get back to the hotel room downloading something new on my Kindle works unless I've already bought a bunch of stuff at a book store. You can also log on to this website or call someone.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dear Bubbalove, WOW that's very impressive your sobriety time in! You're our hero! Yes the support is here, open 24/7 to give you what we can, pr what you meed! Be safe on your trip and hope you get a decent mattress, don't need a nagging painful back! So proud of you, to share with us that, that amount of sober time can be achieved! TF
Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Alone in a hotel room has been a dangerous time for me, so I can relate to your feelings.

Some things I've found helpful.

Don't stay in a hotel room that has a mini bar in it! Have a couple of plans for what you are going to do in the evening so that if one doesn't pan out you have a backup.

Some of the things I've done include shopping, going to a movie, going to an AA meeting, exercise, and making dinner plans if I know somebody. Try not to isolate even if you don't know anybody. I try not to sit in the hotel room alone in the early evening hours. Later, when I do get back to the hotel room downloading something new on my Kindle works unless I've already bought a bunch of stuff at a book store. You can also log on to this website or call someone.
I remove booze from the room as well. Treat myself to a nice dinner. Have a book to read, an AA meeting. Actually I enjoy the time to do whatever I want other than drink. Keeping myself busy is key
Old 10-26-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey. Congratulations on staying sober we are all here if you ever need to talk. Enjoy your hotel time.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi BL, congrats on getting sober again and 26 years is amazing! Certainly shows that you have all the right stuff when it comes to knowing how to get and stay sober again.

I travel a lot for my job and hotel rooms are my single biggest challenge. Zebra's advice above is pretty spot-on. I find that the best way to avoid the temptation is to make sure there is no mini bar (I was all freaked out about calling hotels beforehand and requesting that the mini bar be taken out but it turns out it is a very, very normal request) and to stay out of the hotel room as much as possible. I also save all of the movies and documentaries about sobriety (and how scary being an alcoholic is) that I have wanted to see until I am traveling. I basically just bombard myself with reminders of how important my sobriety is and how long I have worked to achieve it. And, yes, how one drink can lead me straight back to hell.

And of course, I log in here as often as I can and Internet allows.

Good luck and lots of wonderful wishes to you!!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement. First night alone...no minibar in room...just me, tv, books and lemonade^.^ It helps to know that SR is waiting for me...glad that hotel has free wifi^.^ Have a good night!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Bubba,
So good to hear from you tonight! I love the evening you have planned. After being here each night for awhile, I go to EBay. I like to look at items that make me smile....last week I looked up the last doll I received from my parents (6th grade). I found her at EBay, the little doll I have in a cabinet my Dad made years ago for my treasures. I discovered my little Cindy Lou Who on the website, and I have to say my cutie looks pretty good at over 40 years old! Stuff like this reminds me how much I love being me again. Bobbi
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sweet Dreams, yay for no mini bar
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Bubba:
Wow! I've often been "alone in a hotel room" and also sitting on the aisle on a plane when they bring the refreshment cart alongside. Found it helpful to have just tomato juice with lots of Tabasco in it. Sorry about your relapse after 26 years. Got to remember that for myself. It's always there waiting unless I'm careful, listen for the voice which tells me that just one would be O.K. Focus on where that voice is coming from.
This S.R. is great . Wish I had had that way back. We're here for you and you're here for us.

W.