Notices

I need help-nicotine advice

Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help-nicotine advice

I posted last Sunday about my double addiction. I went to the nicotine thread and there isn't much activity so I thought I would post here. Anyway, I had one "hit" of nicotine yesterday morning and then went the entire day without needing anymore, didn't really crave it at all. I went 13 hours and was so pleased and proud of my supposed accomplishment. Well, then the evening came around and I couldn't get it out of my mind. I broke down and had some more. What's wrong with me???

I want to be nicotine free by my 45th birthday next month (exactly one month from today) if not sooner. What advice do any of you have to stop the habit? I am more than happy to hear anything/everything. Janice
Old 06-07-2004, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

You'll get there!!

Hey Lovemykits,
There is nothing wrong with you, I can't even count the times that I have tried to put those nasty cigs down and fall flat on my face everytime!!

Don't worry about it you will get there one day as will I, at least I hope so anyway. It is a very hard addiction to break and it take a lot of will power to do it and I just don't have that right now.

Keep trying and don't give up is all I can tell you!! I know it must feel like this little guy :crisis but you'll make it.

Hugs to you,
Penelope
Old 06-07-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

hey janice, sorry I must have missed your post in the un-smoking forum. I found this for ya http://familydoctor.org/x1790.xml you might find some information you need, this is specific for chew. As you may or may not know I have been working a plan to quit smoking cigarettes myself. I use the patch and it has helped me tremendously. Don't give up, we may slip up sometimes but dont beat yourself up over it. Your not a bad person for slipping it's this disease we have, and nicotine is a powerful enemy. just keep trying. mike

Last edited by mnj1024; 06-07-2004 at 06:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Thank you both for replying. That makes me feel not so alone. Mike, that link is exactly what I needed...great advice! I've bookmarked it and will refer to it often. I know we can all beat the nicotine addiction! Thanks for being here for me! Janice
Old 06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face You are so welcome!

******************{JANICE}}}}}}}}}}
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used hypnosis, worked really really well! Can fill you in more if you like......I quit for my birthday, was last year, when I turned 46. Made it 10 months, broke down, (smoked over a resentment, a lady at that, ...BAD idea, LOL) smoked for 3 montrhs, and quit again last month for my birthday, again. LOL.......but have never really liked it, and am sick and tired of it.

I CAN be done!

Tom
Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope that I don't post this twice

I hit the wrong button so I hope this doesn't post twice! Thanks for all the responses and the cyber hugs. Those make me feel so much better! I am very interested in hearing more about the hypnosis. I recently switched from a "regular" doctor to a naturopathic doctor so I am sure she (the doc) would help me out here. What a lousy addiction to have...to chewing tobacco! I will follow the ideas in the link that Mike posted and hope to be off of this crap by my birthday or hopefully before! Janice
Old 06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
First Things First

Recovery has become choosing a better way of life more so than avoiding the old. In other words I find it really hard to stay away from things I want, that I know are harmful to me. It is a heck of a lot easier to choose recovery, looking for the value in what is gained as apposed to lamenting what is given up. Seems proactive this way quiting seems reactionary.

Hope this helps Janice.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

glad i could help, keep us posted on your progress. from what i read in that link i gave ya it said that the nicotine from chew is much higher than that of a cigarette, so i can only imagine how your cravings must be. The patch plan has been working well for me though, so far. I had a few close calls, but with the all the added tools i have learned here at SR and my NA/AA meets to fight the demons in my head, i was able to make it through. you can too janice mike
Old 06-08-2004, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

On the smoke cessation board on www.webmd.com, there are people who can lead you to the junkie thinking thread for the mind games that occur because of our dependence on nicotine. Check it out. I printed mine out for help.
Shalom!