Notices

Tired Of Lurking, Newbie Here

Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired Of Lurking, Newbie Here

Good Afternoon All,

So for the past week I just lurked and read posts. I just got the courage to join today. I got tired of the insanity and have been sober since 10-04. This is the longest stint I have done in 5 months, the prior was 28 days in rehab (sigh) anyways, I am happy to have found you guys and am looking for all the support and encouragement that I receive. I do have 2 questions for a few of you. I am starting to have flashbacks and am filled with guilt and remorse of many of the things I've done while drinking and its hard to shake them off at times, also, can any of you recommend some good books for people just starting off ? I am reading the Big Book and Keeping Sober currently.

Thank You,
Jazz
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi JLC, welcome. I think it is vital to forgive yourself. Go forward doing positive things. Don't waste energy getting down on yourself. Go forward. Best wishes.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome JLC82, congrats on your sober time. SR is a wonderful place for support. Try and let go of feeling guilty about the past and focus on moving forward with your recovery. I'm glad you have joined us. Best wishes.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much ! @ pinkdog
Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JLC82 View Post
Good Afternoon All,

So for the past week I just lurked and read posts. I just got the courage to join today. I got tired of the insanity and have been sober since 10-04. This is the longest stint I have done in 5 months, the prior was 28 days in rehab (sigh) anyways, I am happy to have found you guys and am looking for all the support and encouragement that I receive. I do have 2 questions for a few of you. I am starting to have flashbacks and am filled with guilt and remorse of many of the things I've done while drinking and its hard to shake them off at times, also, can any of you recommend some good books for people just starting off ? I am reading the Big Book and Keeping Sober currently.

Thank You,
Jazz
Welcome. Lots of helpful, supportive people here. I continue to struggle with my sobriety. However two books that really spoke to me were Rational Recovery and Kick the Drink. Both very practical, hardnosed accounts of how to put the poison away. Tools just like any I think.

Good luck. Stay strong.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Great to hear of your progress. Healing takes time- go easy on yourself. Things come and go and unpleasnat memories, cravings and various other things are part of that. It all gets better.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations and hang in there. In addition to reading the BB I found Living Sober extremely helpful. BE WELL
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jazz

I found time, and living the way I knew I should helped me get over the shame regret and guilt for past actions.

A little support helped too - and you will find a lot of that here.

There's a thread at the top of this forum that has a lot of reading suggestions

D
Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR JLC82! I'm glad you decided to join us You will find great support on this site to help you stay sober. Well done on your weeks of sobriety so far! Time and living well will do wonders to quiet those feelings of guilt and remorse. The past is just that - the past. Don't forget it as it serves as a reminder to stay on the sober course but don't dwell on it either.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Forgiving ourselves

Welcome to SR. In my experience, many addicts/alcoholics have found it difficult to forgive themselves. I found some very helpful information at Rituals for Forgiveness - @OWNTV #Lifeclass
Old 10-25-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jazz! Congratulations on your sober time - we know how hard it is in the early days. You'll be in good company here.

Guilt, remorse, and regret almost sent me back to drinking. I tortured myself with awful thoughts. I decided to be kind and patient with myself. I couldn't do a thing to change what had been. Living the best life I possibly could - the one in front of me - was the only way. In time, people trusted and believed in me again - the old memories faded & the real me shined through. I'm glad you joined us Jazz. You're doing great.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

If you like the big book you will love an AA meeting. Working the steps will heal the baggage of the past
Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Consider "Drinking, a love story". Best book I ever read on alcohol addiction